Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

Wolff Brothers Violin

This violin is in the UK, and I’m not going to bid. I researched the name and found some interesting information. This violin looks like it’s very nice and it seems to have attractive wood, though I don’t like the antiquing. I’m just wondering if it’s a good quality German violin? Better than usual trade stuff? 

1E092BA0-3927-4E16-A0CC-B896EF5F21DB.jpeg

7A1B0CF6-65E9-4728-B8C4-116B5B5C4C6E.jpeg

40204C7C-1F1F-44C2-8393-4985181216EA.jpeg

Yes, I did not find this particular  post but I did find a couple of others about the brothers, which included your comment that they were actually English wholesalers, and Martin’s comment that they also offered French trade instruments. Martin said they were well worthwhile, But I’m just wondering if this is a nice violin. It’s in England I’m not going to bid I’m not the least bit interested, but it looks nice to me despite the antiquing, which I don’t care for.

We had several more threads about Wolff. In Germany they were named Gebrüder Wolff Bad Kreuznach and sold more or less exclusively Schönbach stuff, in Britain probably more Mirecourt.

The OP is Schönbach antiqued Dutzendware, nothing special IMO.

18 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

I’m not going to bid I’m not the least bit interested, 

Good idea. If you spent money on that, you might be too hard up if they were to have a Juzek at the next sale

6 hours ago, Dave Slight said:

Everyone needs a hobby, but looking at lots of cheap things you never intend to buy, must seem a bit unfulfilling?

That’s an odd thing to say. The benefits are obvious and I don’t care whether you’re baffled or not.

On 7/19/2020 at 3:23 PM, jacobsaunders said:

Good idea. If you spent money on that, you might be too hard up if they were to have a Juzek at the next sale

Not sure you could even find a Juzek in the U.K.

42 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

Couldn't you substitute a Stentor or a Maidstone?  :huh:  :ph34r:  :lol:

2 hours ago, Wood Butcher said:

I don’t have the book close to hand, but in the photo section of the book “the American Violin” there is an imported Violin sold by an American firm that has a scroll almost exactly like a Juzek Master Art.

It made me laugh.

I will have to look it up and share the photo

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

I don’t have the book close to hand, but in the photo section of the book “the American Violin” there is an imported Violin sold by an American firm that has a scroll almost exactly like a Juzek Master Art.

I don't have my book nearby (maybe @jacobsaunders could check his copy ;)), but I think the only imported violin in the photo section is the Virzi violin. As the Virzi brothers actually made violins in New York, I don't know what the editorial decision was that made them decide to picture an imported violin in Virizi's section. That made no sense to me.

As far as it looking like a JMA scroll, I couldn't say.