Sign in to follow this  
jbaker

who is buying?

With the uncertainty involved with the current pandemic it seems two things are for certain, 1) the music buying community is hurting in the pocketbook department, and 2) there are loads of great inexpensive instruments available just about every where you look.

On 7/17/2020 at 2:34 AM, jbaker said:

I am curious to hear everyone's thoughts on the climate of the industry. 
Who is buying during the pandemic?

Like every other industry, it will be having a harder time than normal.

It could be doing better than some industries, and far worse than others. I guess we will never know the extent of the difference until it is all over.

On 7/16/2020 at 9:34 PM, jbaker said:

Who is buying during the pandemic?

IMHO, mostly people who shop online, and who haven't been heavily financially impacted by the virus outbreak, for obvious reasons.  :)

33 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

Must be great news for the Gliga factory tumbleweed.gif.9422cbe0de8b86956f7af6fccd006f16.gif

Actually, it probably favors everyone who's already committed to web-based sales, including all the auction houses that we usually discuss here.  :)

Well I have no idea how its affecting the dealers, but the auction side of things seems pretty busy.

I have seen a few things that went unsold just before lockdown be relisted with a lower estimate that have now ended up selling for way more than the original estimate.

2 hours ago, Shelbow said:

I have seen a few things that went unsold just before lockdown be relisted with a lower estimate that have now ended up selling for way more than the original estimate.

This happens quite often in auctions anyway. Not always the next auction perhaps, but at a later date I've seen it many times.

44 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

This happens quite often in auctions anyway. Not always the next auction perhaps, but at a later date I've seen it many times.

I do find it very curious indeed.

There was an interesting violin at the last Bromptons that didn't sell (so the information has disappeared), I wonder if that will appear again in the September sale...

1 minute ago, Shelbow said:

I do find it very curious indeed.

Auctions are about what happens on that day. On a different day, or months later to outcome will be different.

Even more so, when you had to visit the saleroom in person, or leave a bid in the pre internet auction days. Many might not realize a lot had been offered previously.

Yes I guess in these days where you can often see all the old listings online it does offer a different perspective on things.

So many variables!

Last year I sold a painting that had been in our family for over a century in a major NYC art auction (as part of an estate settlement). The painting had been purchased directly from the artist by my great grandparents.

In discussing the reserve and estimate, the auction rep said that bidders loved to have something new on the market (has not been seen before), but if it did not sell the first time, then bidders would start to suspect that there is something "wrong with it."

I suspect this is true for high-value violins, too.

So we set the reserve and estimates low, and it sold for over 3 times the low estimate.

I suspect there is a lot of 'stress shopping' happening.

Women realize that shopping therapy plays an important role in stress management - at least until it becomes an addiction and then adds to the stress.

Men don't like to admit to anything being therapeutic, unless it's beer.

...can't speak for everyone else...

And it doesn't even have a demonstration video posted.  :lol:

The grafted scroll looks a lot like an 18th. c. Mittenwald I have, with an unusually deeply cut throat.

...............And it's sold to "Piganini" for 120,000 GBP, plus premiums, and all.  Interesting for a vioin that started at only 7,000.

9 minutes ago, Rue said:

Women realize that shopping therapy plays an important role in stress management - at least until it becomes an addiction and then adds to the stress.

Like!!!  :lol:

11 minutes ago, Rue said:

I always have to collect something, it's definitely how I deal with life.

Currently it's violins and Whisky but that kind of works for me because I love antiques and musical instruments and you can get some old things cheap :P. Whisky is just a good investment I feel,

9 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

And it doesn't even have a demonstration video posted.  :lol:

The grafted scroll looks a lot like an 18th. c. Mittenwald I have, with an unusually deeply cut throat.

...............And it's sold to "Piganini" for 120,000 GBP, plus premiums, and all.  Interesting for a vioin that started at only 7,000.

You presume they (and at least one other person) must have seen something in it to push it that far.

1 minute ago, Shelbow said:

You presume they (and at least one other person) must have seen something in it to push it that far.

I noticed that it has a 1737 dendro from Peter Ratcliff.................  :)