Maestronet Forums

Need Bow Eyelet of off diameter

PhilipKT

I have a Gillet bow With a stripped eyelet.

The diameter of the shaft of the button is apparently unusual. Neither of the bow guys I deal with around here has one that will fit my bow. Does anybody have one of the proper size?

And here’s a couple of cats… And cats are always welcome.

They are the proper diameter.

76925CCF-96B9-44B2-BD9D-DF0FD16193D6.jpeg

AB504758-0193-4529-B59A-E4768454C037.jpeg

C070884D-F4A5-4CD8-B17D-2F10A5629B97.jpeg

E2E3DB94-4735-4B95-98EA-DFE3D69A7640.jpeg

C96735B7-5247-49A0-80C0-72280A64A124.jpeg

Cats are cute.

I had a similar problem once, only it was the threads that were unusual. After 2 tries by the archetier to match eyelet threads with the screw threads (and 2 more stripped eyelets), I simply had him replace the screw with a matching eyelet. I saved old screw, but I don't think changing a screw devalues a bow much, if at all. Not sure anyone could even tell.

3 minutes ago, Jeff White said:

Your "archetier" should be able to measure the thread and just tap a new blank eyelet.  Why didn't they just do that?

I think we discussed that but he doesn’t have a tap that matches the threads of the shaft? I think that’s something along the lines of his reasoning.

But it’s possible I didn’t mention it at all so I will broach that solution to him.

13 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

Cats are cute.

I had a similar problem once, only it was the threads that were unusual. After 2 tries by the archetier to match eyelet threads with the screw threads (and 2 more stripped eyelets), I simply had him replace the screw with a matching eyelet. I saved old screw, but I don't think changing a screw devalues a bow much, if at all. Not sure anyone could even tell.

That’s also a possibility. But it’s a very nice old French bow and I’d like to save as much as possible. The button is itself a replacement, but it was replaced onto the original shaft

It looks like that is not the shaft diameter, but the end diameter.  Your bow person should be able to spin one down that fits..it is not a big deal.  We do not even use pre-made screws but instead use what used to be called Panhaleux'sp' screws.  No worries about the screw, I do not think it deserves the "old" moniker.

24 minutes ago, Jeff White said:

Your "archetier" should be able to measure the thread and just tap a new blank eyelet.  Why didn't they just do that?

He tried twice to do exactly that, and both times it stripped after several months. It did not seem worthwhile to try a third time.