Sign in to follow this  
David Burgess

Joe Bein separates from Bein and Fushi

54 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

I have not yet been able to sort everything out yet, nor do I even know if "Bein and Fushi" even exists any more.

https://theviolinchannel.com/joe-bein-to-launch-own-violin-shop-bein-and-company-instrument-dealers-chicago/

If it's gone, that puts an end to one of the most amusing punning nicknames any business ever had.  :huh::ph34r:

Joe is a good guy.  I went there in March to do some research (I’m a chemistry professor, and violin research is a side hobby).   Not only did he bring out a selection of Cremonese and Brescian instruments for me to work with, but he also took an hour out of his busy day to talk shop, even though I was upfront that I was not a customer that day.   I wish him well.   I wonder how they will split the inventory, if they are splitting up the business?

4 hours ago, David Burgess said:

I have not yet been able to sort everything out yet, nor do I even know if "Bein and Fushi" even exists any more.

https://theviolinchannel.com/joe-bein-to-launch-own-violin-shop-bein-and-company-instrument-dealers-chicago/

I have to wonder too.  I notice that Fushi is featured prominently, but Robert Bein is almost erased from the web site.  And there's little mention of the current management or expertise except for the sales staff.  I've been gone from Chicago for a long time.  Am I missing something?

On the other hand, news of a possibly great new shop is always welcome.

It's always unsettling when an "institution" or power, comes to an end...

Like Mesopotamia, Constantinople, Rome, the monarchy...

...my brain is tired :angry:...need funnier examples...:ph34r:

1 minute ago, Rue said:

Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin?

I’m going straight to hell now.....

DLB

1 hour ago, Rue said:

It's always unsettling when an "institution" or power, comes to an end...

Like Mesopotamia, Constantinople, Rome, the monarchy...

North America

9 hours ago, Dwight Brown said:

I miss Pangea.....

DLB

Reunite Gondwanaland.

(Carl Sagan's bumper sticker when I knew him).

Bein and Fushi is still in business. They just announced that the store will be open with limited hours. Joe Bein was a salesman. He was not writing any certificates. John Becker writes certificates for violins. Gabriel Ben Dashan writes bow certificates.

3 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

Are they keeping the name?

As far as I know yes. I would think that the brand name is worth keeping even though things have changed over time. I am pretty sure that Joe was not involved in the management of the business. I am waiting to hear from my friend who is the sales director there. As you are probably aware, both the founders (Robert Bein and Geoffrey Fushi) are deceased. Currently there are Fushi family members at the firm. 

The last I knew the company was completely owned by the Fushi family (unless there's a silent partner), and Joe is an employee. He can't take the B&F name because he's not B&F-- someone else is, and there would be no more reason for them to change name than Microsoft to do so.

It might be interesting to know what the various participants *think* Joe can do with his own name, which happens to be somewhat similar to part of the name of the company that he works for because a family member of his happened to be involved a long time ago. I doubt Bob could have signed away his son's right to use his son's own name, but I"m sure the attorneys will have a nice t$i$m$e$ with the problem.

Anyway, the video immediately disappeared, so maybe the whole thing is just a bad dream.

I'm not sure John Becker is still writing their certs. For an accurate answer on that, I'd ask John, not them.

1 hour ago, Michael Darnton said:

....................It might be interesting to know what the various participants *think* Joe can do with his own name...................

The situation beares watching.  ;)

6 hours ago, Bodacious Cowboy said:

Wine and Sushi? :P

<BEEP!!> Well, you just lost $10 in the "Dealers Trivia" column.  :P:lol:

Welcome to MN.  :)

39 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

The situation beares watching.  ;)

<BEEP!!> Well, you just lost $10 in the "Dealers Trivia" column.  :P:lol:

Welcome to MN.  :)

swine and sushi, bein and fooey, my two favorites.

2 hours ago, Michael Darnton said:

I'm not sure John Becker is still writing their certs. For an accurate answer on that, I'd ask John, not them.

I have deleted my original response. John Becker told me some things, but possibly with an expectation of privacy, even if that was not specifically stated. If I didn't have a respect for privacy, and some things being shared "off the record", I wouldn't have learned nearly as much as I have.

1 hour ago, duane88 said:

swine and sushi, bein and fooey, my two favorites.

The one I had in mind was "Fine and Bushy".  :lol: