Maestronet Forums

New End Pin Holder

Brad Dorsey

I never liked using the common type of slip-joint pliers on end pins, because the teeth marr them.  The idea of grinding the teeth off just came to me.

image.jpeg.556efebb7a18bcb75c21d1904d71e36d.jpeg

I discovered that I had a little grinding wheel just the right diameter.  I mounted it in my drill press and pinched it with the pliers to grind off the teeth.

image.jpeg.4923b4199de6a8a10329f22720afdc6b.jpeg

7 hours ago, Brad Dorsey said:

I never liked using the common type of slip-joint pliers on end pins, because the teeth marr them.  The idea of grinding the teeth off just came to me.

image.jpeg.556efebb7a18bcb75c21d1904d71e36d.jpeg

I discovered that I had a little grinding wheel just the right diameter.  I mounted it in my drill press and pinched it with the pliers to grind off the teeth.

image.jpeg.4923b4199de6a8a10329f22720afdc6b.jpeg

Rather than grinding the teeth away, simply line the jaws with leather, or some thick silicon rubber sheet.

Petz Kolophonium Vienna, which is the most used violin makers wholesaler here, offers a “endknopfabzieher” (end button grabber) in well engineered aluminium for €29,80 retail incl. 20% VAT, which works well, so that it seems a waste of time and energy to make one oneself.

I use it more for holding the end button whilst turning it perfectly round in the peg shaper, than for pulling end buttons out. If you twist an end button clockwise to remove it from a violin, and the damn thing won’t budge, the trick is often to just twist it anti-clockwise instead. One also has the option of clamping it in the work bench, and twisting the violin

On 7/11/2020 at 9:19 PM, Christian Pedersen said:

20200711_191245.thumb.jpg.288dbc4abd7e5150ce5342a1d066f751.jpg20200711_191555.thumb.jpg.7cafdd7b9d4f70a2132baa5234eac60b.jpg

This has worked for me for close to 30 years. It's a prototype that worked so well I haven't needed to make a new one.

I use something very similar to that. Takes maybe a half-hour to make, and doesn't have the downsides of some other methods. Have not yet ever marred an endbutton with my similar, but much cruder version.

I too have made experimental prototype tools, which worked so well initially, that I never got around to taking the extra step of beautifying them for the satisfaction of the "cork-sniffers".

35 minutes ago, Bill Yacey said:

I glued a thick leather doughnut in mine to grip the end pin head, yet allowing room for any decorative pips.

I simply glued a thick and not too hard leather disc. I didn't need to make a central hole, it compressed and adapted perfectly on its own. It is also a good thing to round a bit the internal edges that grip the endpin because they are a bit sharp when new2062233141_Estrattorebottone.thumb.JPG.4fe54b9f71ff295825a5e271a3865511.JPG

10 hours ago, Davide Sora said:

I simply glued a thick and not too hard leather disc. I didn't need to make a central hole, it compressed and adapted perfectly on its own. It is also a good thing to round a bit the internal edges that grip the endpin because they are a bit sharp when new

I did the same on mine. The one I bought was the aluminum version, and all the milled edges were very sharp. I rounded over all the sharp edges and put a light application of grease on the threads to prevent galling.

I should have bought the brass version; the aluminum always leaves black marks on my hands during use.