Maestronet Forums

Linerless bow frogs

nathan slobodkin

Just now, Goran74 said:

Yes. Making a new frog without underslide.

Then you do not deal with the feather edge from inside.  Keep the frog may oversize where it meets the stick, fit it to the stick, place your silk re-enforcement, and then bring the frog down from the outside.  By the time there is a feather edge it has already been re-enforced.

JP

Underslide didn't help this one much!  Actually, I know it did, just can't imagine how bad it would have been if no underslide.  I did a cheval, and made it deep enough to push up some of the worn thumb area.  I see what you mean about this being a lot of work Jerry, this was more work than I thought and I'm not close to being finished a million ways to screw it up and I only found......a few......so far.  BTW, what are you all refering to about the Hill bows not having an underslide?  I have only had ones with it.  Are they the Vuillaume/Viorin type?

IMG_5281 (1).jpg

IMG_5332 (1).jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/12/2020 at 3:54 PM, martin swan said:

Traditional wood to wood mounts (not Hill style) are definitely susceptible to damage, but I think this can be regarded as legitimate wear, rather like cracks in the table of a violin. Chipping to the edges can be patched up, and if it gets too bad then one fits new wood to the sides of the frog.

I don't think it should inform making practices - these should rather be informed by the pursuit of the best sonic and playing characteristics.

Bows without underslides are often in a price category that most will not consider. What is the least inexpensive bow without an underslide? I am very happy that there are makers philosophically committing to this. The purchase was a good one.

I have had to make adjustments to grip and bowing. I also want this sound to develop and last.

Even tightening or loosening the bow may require care depending on the bow. I hold the bow upside down and try to gently set the frog in alignment with my thumb while supporting the stick with my fingers. This helps keep the two in place if there is any binding in the system, when trying to unscrew the button.

I am not saying this is the correct way, but the way that seems to work well with my bow.

Some hold on only to the frog when undoing the button, which on some older bows is not great to do. One of my teacher did this with his Vuillaume bow and it drove me nuts. But over the 20 years I knew him, the bow did not exhibit much play. Others hold on to the stick and one can visibly see the frog move a bit, side- to-side, before moving forward. 

It is interesting how fast kids start to wear out different details of bows. One newer "signature" Brazillian bow which I lent out has started to develop a bit of play after one year. I purchased it as new a year prior and had no play in it. When I offered it, there was no movement. She does not over play, or force the instrument or the bow, but uses a full bow and her grip tends to be more static than flexible. I have no answers yet, but her bowing is less disciplined. Will have to keep an eye on it.