Sign in to follow this  
classicalmusic

Violin Tailpiece Weight

Hello,

I know there are many factors affecting the tone with the tailpiece including length, shape, string spacing, resonance, material, afterlength, tailcord, etc., but I was curious if anyone has had success with a certain weight of the tailpiece to achieve the best resonance of the instrument.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

There’s no major problem, just trying to get the violin sounding its very best and seeing if this would improve it. Originally the violin had a lighter tailpiece and it seemed more responsive, but it was too short for the violin because its a longer model, so I had a custom one made that was longer and fit the violin better. The custom one seems a little on the thick side like a viola tailpiece, the tone seems rich and strong, but maybe could be freer, curious if I had the tailpiece reduced in weight if would help the violin to be a little more responsive. 

5 hours ago, classicalmusic said:

There’s no major problem, just trying to get the violin sounding its very best and seeing if this would improve it. Originally the violin had a lighter tailpiece and it seemed more responsive, but it was too short for the violin because its a longer model, so I had a custom one made that was longer and fit the violin better. The custom one seems a little on the thick side like a viola tailpiece, the tone seems rich and strong, but maybe could be freer, curious if I had the tailpiece reduced in weight if would help the violin to be a little more responsive

There are many sizes and weights of tailpiece you could experiment with however since size, weight, material, distance from the bridge, distance from the saddle, different fastener materials, spacing of the holes where the hanger goes and probably some other variables are all involved scientific experimentation gets pretty complicated. That's not to mention that since you can't change the TP without removing the bridge the post and bridge positions get involved as well. Unless you have a particular problem which you can't solve any other way I wouldn't get too involved with anything out of the ordinary on this.