Sign in to follow this  
Alex C.

Ridiculous estimate from Tarisio on cello?

For the July Tarisio auction, the listed price estimate for an Testore school cello that is in very poor condition is 30-50K. The head is not original, and it has multiple significant cracks as well as cosmetic damage. Am I correct in thinking this estimate is more than its worth? Also, how come Tarisio has 70 items for sale but only two cellos? :(

https://tarisio.com/auctions/auction/lot/?csid=2199207936&cpid=2433531904&filter_key=

That same cello was for sale in March with a higher minimum (50k, if I'm not wrong). I don't find it that expensive now, if you could get it on the lower end of the estimate.

On 7/7/2020 at 7:33 PM, Alex C. said:

For the July Tarisio auction, the listed price estimate for an Testore school cello that is in very poor condition is 30-50K. The head is not original, and it has multiple significant cracks as well as cosmetic damage. Am I correct in thinking this estimate is more than its worth? Also, how come Tarisio has 70 items for sale but only two cellos?

Is it a ridiculous estimate? What do you think the estimate should be?

Most auctions usually have only a small selection of cellos, so I don't think this is unusual, but spare a thought for the bassists. With Covid issues, I'm sure it is difficult for anyone right now to put together the selection and quantity they might have wished for.

I saw a while ago a Carlo Testore that belonged to a retired NY Phil member asking price was $150K it needed over $35K in restoration work. 30-50K estimate isn't a bad price at all...  I am guessing this one isn't a Carlo Testore but some apprentice. Price seems fair though

Just find someone who needs and is willing to pay you for a cello head from Naples, and you have partially subsidized your restoration. I mean, replaced scroll from Naples, replaced scroll by restorer-sounds the same when it is done.

16 hours ago, Wood Butcher said:

Indeed. An 18thC Milanese cello for that estimate seems acceptable, even with a replacement head and some condition issues.

It's true that it has a big condition issue: a soundpost crack on the back. That devaluates a lot the instrument, but still seems to be reasonable to me. I saw some real Testores at Brompton's in March in much worse condition and estimates more than 3 times higher... 

Well I guess you are right because no one seems to be bidding on this ghastly example of Milanese workmanship. I doubt this instrument would sound nice even after extensive repairs.

Not many bids are placed until the final day/hours, so there is nothing unusual in this.

Given the global situation, it's not clear how this could affect auctions vs shops, but it seems likely that many people will be cautious about spending right now.