Sign in to follow this  
l33tplaya

Ida Haendel dies at 91, grande dame of the violin

One of the greats, sad to see her go, but she lived a long life and had a great career, time to play for the angels now.

:(

I don't have 'heroes', but she was always a source of inspiration.

One of the greats.  Good long life.  Very influential.  

Listen to how freely she plays!  And the strength and determination.  Such character.  She made Sibelius proud he wrote it.

Wow.  I remember hearing her name constantly, and every time I heard it I wanted to ask her how often during her life her name has been misspelled. 

My wife is Chinese and frequently says that when someone dies after  a long life well lead, It is a “happy funeral” that is very true in this instance. May her memory be a joy

Ms Haendel was greatly under-valued over her lifetime. She was a common thread that ties the middle 20th century artistic playing to our playing now.

I heard her play the Brahms concerto at the Proms in 1971 when I was nobbut a youngster. Also heard her play the Tchaik in 77. 

I just loved her playing and think she was severely underestimated at a time when all the great soloists were men.

She was absolutely not on my radar when I was younger.  She might have popped up in those books on many violinists, either as one of the many Flesch students or as one of the "ladies of the bow" or some such.  

I finally heard her live with the Boston Symphony in one of Simon Rattle's last concerts there.  She did the Sibelius, and was fabulous. 

This was about 20 years ago-- just before Rattle took himself out of the Seiji succession battle by announcing his move to Berlin.