Sign in to follow this  
Shelbow

Old photo, any thoughts on who this maker is?

I don't usually buy photo type things, but I thought this was just an interesting bit of history. As I may have stated a few times I am interested in amateur makers and instruments. 

I like the note on the back :D

Long shot but does anyone know who this might be? I'm assuming someone from the UK but I guess it could be from anywhere. 

_20200706_141543.JPG

_20200706_141321.JPG

Yes I would think 50's or 60's it was bought off Ebay from a UK seller, but I guess it could have come from the US.

It's certainly possible, but very difficult to tell even looking at it with extra light and a magnifying glass. The image is just not that clear in that area sadly.

5 minutes ago, Shelbow said:

It's certainly possible, but very difficult to tell even looking at it with extra light and a magnifying glass.

Yeah, whatever it is, it appears huge! Could be shadows, though.

I think it's Don Noon in his workshop.

It isn't an old photo, just one taken in black and white last week. You can see his new CNC on the bench to the right. The one with the carved head will be the snake fiddle :D

Nice that he mentions the Leica :-)  Leica didn't have a camera with a self timer until the early fifties. Of course there were always add on self timers long before that. It looks like an old large format camera on a tripod with the focusing cloth covering it in the right back corner.  It looks a bit like the room may double as a darkroom?

DLB

The pants are definitely 50s, But I’m not enough of a fashionista to be more specific than that. I would like to complement him on his penmanship. If his violins are as neat as his handwriting, they probably show quality workmanship throughout.

IMHO, the cabinetry looks like laboratory wall units especially popular in academic settings from at least the 1950's onward.  This could have been taken at an institution where the gentleman was on the faculty or staff.   I'd favor this photo being from the USA.  :)

1 hour ago, Dwight Brown said:

Nice that he mentions the Leica :-)  Leica didn't have a caera with a self timer until the early fifties. Of course there were always add on self timers long before that. It looks like an old large format camera on a tripod with the focusing cloth covering it in the right back corner.  It looks a bit like the room may double as a darkroom?

DLB

Notice the "blackout" style of the window blind.   I'd believe a darkroom.

7 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

IMHO, the cabinetry looks like laboratory wall units especially popular in academic settings from at least the 1950's onward.  This could have been taken at an institution where the gentleman was on the faculty or staff.   I'd favor this photo being from the USA.  :)

Definitely an interesting insight. 

Would it also be more common for some American makers to prefer the term fiddle?  I guess there is a very strong folk / country  music tradition there. 

1 hour ago, Violadamore said:

I saw that too. I couldn’t decide if it was for darkroom or a background for violin pictures. Now that I think on it you would usually have a white background for violin pictures.

DLB

2 hours ago, Violadamore said:

or WW2 blackout curtains.  Even growing up in the 60s my parents had those on the windows.  Olive drab.  Probably something dad brought home surplus.  

I believe the curtain is a velvet or similar back drop curtain for photography. There looks to be another window behind the drill press without any curtains, which would dismiss the idea of the space being used for a darkroom.

Edit: At the end of the left bench appears to be a small tablesaw with a fence.

11 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Can't be. He isn't wearing a chequered shirt

Doesn't the stereotypical American wear a flamboyant Hawaiian shirt?

1 hour ago, Bill Yacey said:

I believe the curtain is a velvet or similar back drop curtain for photography. There looks to be another window behind the drill press without any curtains, which would dismiss the idea of the space being used for a darkroom.

Edit: At the end of the left bench appears to be a small tablesaw with a fence.

The structure inset into the wall beyond the end of the right countertop looks as if it could be a disused door (with stuff piled in front of it), in which case the window likely faces into another room.  I've seen such arrangements originally intended for handing out materials through the opened window.  In any event, it looks as if the room in the photo hasn't served it's original purpose (whatever that was) in some time, and has become storage that some tools are being used in.  :)

Ballpoint pens should have been well established at this time, but the note is done with a fountain pen- another clue for academia??