Sign in to follow this  
Alex4050

Found 477 issues of The Strad Magazine dating back to 1926.

Hey there,

I recently inherited 4 very heavy boxes containing 477 issues of The Strad Magazine dating back to 1926. Antique beauty aside and historical value aside, does anyone have any ideas on the best way to sell these? 

IMG_20200102_140516.thumb.jpg.841ffa4e5b716405d8138ef512084ad9.jpg

They sell for around 8.50 each on e-bay from the early 60's. I would think the older ones might sell for a little more.

I have every single issue of “The Strad” back to the 20’s. I inherited them about 10 years ago. The content is 99% garbage, and it has only been useful to look something up about a half a dozen times. I have also moved house twice with the bloody things, and carting them up or down two staircases and onto a truck is a source of complete exhaustion. I didn’t bother to renew my subscription a few years ago, since it seemed like madness to buy another bookshelf for stuff that is only there to collect dust. I think it would be more realistic to try and give them away, rather than selling them.

I had a vast pile of consumer reports, and I read many of them for the car reviews, because I am quite into old cars, particularly Hudson’s. One article from the late 40s actually was about Violins. It was mainly focusing on ranking the best violins, And I wish with all my heart I had not thrown that particular issue out when I got rid of them.

Moral of the story is that a few of those issues may have something very worthwhile, but you’ll have to dig through every issue to find it. 

Boy, I sure wish I still had that issue of Consumer Reports…

On 7/10/2020 at 4:13 PM, PhilipKT said:

I had a vast pile of consumer reports, and I read many of them for the car reviews, because I am quite into old cars, particularly Hudson’s. One article from the late 40s actually was about Violins. It was mainly focusing on ranking the best violins, And I wish with all my heart I had not thrown that particular issue out when I got rid of them.

Moral of the story is that a few of those issues may have something very worthwhile, but you’ll have to dig through every issue to find it. 

Boy, I sure wish I still had that issue of Consumer Reports…

Did they digitize it? You might ask CR HQ if they did, or maybe they have it on microfilm?

5 hours ago, l33tplaya said:

Did they digitize it? You might ask CR HQ if they did, or maybe they have it on microfilm?

I actually wrote them and asked and got a reply that they didn’t save old issues.

Surprising; most mags save at least one copy of all back issues -for reference, if nothing else.  Maybe a public library interlibrary loan/copy?

I used to have hundreds and hundreds of Strad magazines, from the 1970's to the 2010's. I have been giving them all away, and have not regretted it for a second. A lot of info in older ones is not correct, the newer ones filled with more adverts than articles.