Sign in to follow this  
Yogic

Carved Scrolls

It’s very skillfully carved, but I think it’s a tough sell for most people. There’s also some distracting edge damage on the lower treble bout that is hard to ignore.

I remember, when I was about 13 or 14 years old, some Australian friend/customer of my father (there was quite a lot of them) found my father a new viola customer. He was a wealthy viola playing pig farmer down there. He said, “yes Wilf, I would love a viola, but could you, instead of the scroll, carve a pigs head for it?” There followed a couple of seconds silence, and I was expecting some sarcastic remark like “oh, it’s for your wife then is it?” but I was rather disappointed since all he said was “I would rather not”

Lion heads on old German/Austrian instruments are generally accepted, but I think most people still prefer the ones with normal scrolls.

Gamba and d'amore players probably are the ones that might actually prefer some other carving.

Well, the maker had some "fantasia" on his head...  the sound box is very nice. The head explains why it is in an auction, and not with a good dealer.

I have yet to see a carved scroll on an instrument which also produces a quality sound. Was there ever a time when they were popular with professionals?

This could be the exception, however the market for them is small and at that price point tiny.

Edited by Just Sayin’

9 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

I remember, when I was about 13 or 14 years old, some Australian friend/customer of my father (there was quite a lot of them) found my father a new viola customer. He was a wealthy viola playing pig farmer down there. He said, “yes Wilf, I would love a viola, but could you, instead of the scroll, carve a pigs head for it?” There followed a couple of seconds silence, and I was expecting some sarcastic remark like “oh, it’s for your wife then is it?” but I was rather disappointed since all he said was “I would rather not”

A bad-ass wild boar with tusks and a wicked smile would be fine company for some of the lions etc. on Susanne Küster's site :-).

IMHO, that carved head resembles the kid who played Damian in the original The Omen movie.  It gives me the creeps. 

11 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

There was an old guy in W. North Carolina who carved a ram head for scrolls, complete with "ole ram" branded on the back.

I would be tempted, if I had the fiddle and players complained about the carved head consistently, to simply carve a new scroll for the instrument and make sure that the original head went with it and was prominently mentioned in the certificate. 

Also , Dave Birkedahl made a viola that had an evil, scarey demon for the head. The owner, after numerous attempts to have a replacement scroll carved, simply put a small cloth bag with a drawstring over the offending head.

Things like this may have been loved by the original owner, but can be a complete turn off for anyone else.

The head on this looks nicely carved, most times you can't even say that. A lot can carve a scroll, which looks something like a scroll, not so many can carve a head or face well. I have seen some haunting attempts over the years, haunting I tell you.

I know this is a dumb question. But can the value of the violin be improved if a replica scroll is grafred by removing the head part alone.

3 minutes ago, Yogic said:

I know this is a dumb question. But can the value of the violin be improved if a replica scroll is grafred by removing the head part alone.

Perhaps if it is done by the maker himself. But they would probably replace the whole neck.

2 hours ago, Yogic said:

I can't say that the value would be improved, but the saleability might be, and yes, no graft, just carve a new scroll.

But since the maker is dead, one of us would have to do it.

On 7/7/2020 at 8:13 PM, Martin S said:

i happen to like well carved Lions heads and faces, they probably won't appeal to most players, but there's always someone that might prefer them, so I don't see what the big deal is avoiding them and denigrating them

Here's a nice one

21 minutes ago, Rue said:

What has he been smoking? ^_^

The good stuff! He's just chillin taking it easy hanging out being a violin head and making sweet tunes!