Sign in to follow this  
Ron Teplitz

Ban on denatured alcohol in California

32 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

I just picked up a quart of hand sanitizer from the Ann Arbor Distilling Company. Hand sanitizer is a major business for them right now. It is 80% ethyl alcohol, with the rest being water, hydrogen peroxide and glycerin. Sounds pretty safe. I presume that the hydrogen peroxide is the denaturant, as well as having some disinfecting properties.

I expect most brands are safe when used as directed. The problem is with the specific brands identified by the FDA, which do contain methanol and are not supposed to.

25 minutes ago, SLF said:

I've used denatured alcohol the past 47 years in my varnish.  I also fly rc model airplanes with a fuel  that's about 80 percent pure methanol, the rest being castor oil and nitro methane.  After reading this thread, I think I'd better be putting my affairs in order.:(

When I was flying RC helicopters, my hands were often wet with that stuff.

BTW...

LD50 refers to a one-time dose (accute).

The chronic effects of long term, or repeated, exposure to a toxin is different. Chronic effects are harder to quantify, etc.

https://culinarysolvent.com/products/1-quart-200-proof-ethanol?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImtzv6f_B6gIVAx6tBh2oHQLOEAAYASACEgKDkfD_BwE

the question I have is; is the ban just sales in the state, can I get this shipped to me? for 5$ a quart? anyone have any literature from the autonomous communist zone of kalyforny about new said reneducation program law?  

14 minutes ago, Michael.N. said:

Just can't help himself. He's at it yet again, despite all the warnings. I'm finished with this forum. 

Michael, is it not OK (in the UK) to make fun of California?

I'm kind of inclined to think that if you let an HSE inspector loose in a typical violin workshop, occasional use of denatured alcohol would be fairly low down the list of concerns.

2 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Michael, is it not OK (in the UK) to make fun of California?

Certainly it is, Michigan too:)

22 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Certainly it is, Michigan too:)

Hmmm, do you still consider yourself to be a UKokian?

I thought you were now an oompah Austrian. ;)

Sorry...  think this is going south again... Time to lock the thread.  Keep the politics that don't directly pertain to our industry off the board please.