Maestronet Forums

Ban on denatured alcohol in California

Ron Teplitz

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/3/2020 at 6:31 PM, Michael Szyper said:

Maybe you should consider buying it via import through kremer NY or Germany (if the ban doesn’t affect imports). Should be still the cheapest option.

The Kremer ethyl alcohol is a very good product. 99% ethanol, denatured with 1% MEK. Very comprehensive safety and toxicology information on the Kremer website. Much less toxic than anything denatured with methanol. Quite a big price increase since the pandemic, but this is true for most alcohols that could be used in sanitizer products.

49 minutes ago, jezzupe said:

I don't really give a crap about what you think of me,my instruments or my ideology

Of course, you don't. You obviously don't care about Maestronet, either:

This forum is for discussions relating to the “hardware” side of string instruments, it should include issues relating to:making, repairing, authenticity, buying, selling, instrument values, and so on.

Do you see "jezzupe's political opinions" in that description? I don't either.

This Forum isn't for thread-hjacking with your political pontifications, which you do more than anybody else here. There are plenty of other websites where you can discuss those topics to your heart's delight. Please take it there.

42 minutes ago, jezzupe said:

I'm done for now...do what you will.

I wasn't thinkin' of doing anything, other than using my battery-powered vehicle to go out there and kick yo azz.:lol:

I'm leaving tomorrow, and might be there in under two months, unless I spend the big bucks to purchase the longer-range battery-powered vehicles, oblivious to their  actual "birth to grave" energy and environmental costs.

1 hour ago, not telling said:

I tune out when people at work talk about how Jordan Peterson saved their minds from confusion.

I just found out that Jordan Peterson is in Belgrade recovering after his treatment for Benzodiazepine addiction in a clinic in Russia.  He  could not get the appropriate treatment  here in North America. 
Here is his daughter's podcast done from the clinic in Serbia.
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLWgVpmo1e0

25 minutes ago, Bill Yacey said:

Next thing you know, animal skins will be in fashion again, and we'll all be gathering around cave entrances in the evenings to BBQ the bagged critter of the day over an open fire;

I think it's semi-OK, as long as the bagged critters are "road kill".

Roadkilled skunk can be delicious. The smell reminds me of kimchi. ;)

55 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

I wasn't thinkin' of doing anything, other than using my battery-powered vehicle to go out there and kick yo azz.:lol:

I'm leaving tomorrow, and might be there in under two months, unless I spend the big bucks to purchase the longer-range battery-powered vehicles, oblivious to their  actual "birth to grave" energy and environmental costs.

May I suggest wind power? :lol:

4 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

I think it's semi-OK, as long as the bagged critters are "road kill".

Roadkilled skunk can be delicious. The smell reminds me of kimchi. ;)

Mmm' Marmont, just the mom used to make it, with the plague and all the fixin's  :unsure:

On 7/4/2020 at 9:06 AM, David Burgess said:

Everclear has become a popular solvent in our trade, but the nearest places I can buy it are Indiana and Kentucky.

This was kindof funny:  The last time I purchased Everclear in Kentucky, I brought four bottles to the counter. The person at the counter said, "Oh, you must be a woodworker". :lol:

So it sounds like a lot of it is sold for use as a solvent. I'm curious how much of their total production goes to this use? If anyone is wondering, I think I paid about $18 per .75 litre bottle last time. Not cheap!

I use Everclear and it is available here in Traverse City Mich. Geyers Party Store.

s

As luck would have it I just ran out of Everclear. There are now two versions. The original recipe is 190 proof (95% alcohol) and another, less potent 151 proof (75% alcohol). I also found a new brand made here in Kentucky which is 190 proof and was $13 or $14 for a 750ml bottle. It’s sold as Clear Spring from Red Bull Co. in Bardstown, KY.

17 hours ago, violguy said:

I use Everclear and it is available here in Traverse City Mich. Geyers Party Store.

Is that the190 Everclear or the150? I like to start with the 190, since both will quickly absorb water from the atmosphere and become diluted.

3 hours ago, Barry J. Griffiths said:

As luck would have it I just ran out of Everclear. There are now two versions. The original recipe is 190 proof (95% alcohol) and another, less potent 151 proof (75% alcohol). I also found a new brand made here in Kentucky which is 190 proof and was $13 or $14 for a 750ml bottle. It’s sold as Clear Spring from Red Bull Co. in Bardstown, KY.

Thanks, I'll look the Clear Spring up next time I'm down there. One of my daughters lives barely north of the Ohio/Kentucky border, so I do get down there quite a bit. When one crosses the border from Ohio into Kentucky and takes the first exit, there's almost a bulk liqueur store on every corner. :D

That aside, me and the wiff love it down there. Lots more "real people" than we get in hoity-toity Ann Arbor.

On 7/6/2020 at 6:55 AM, avandesande said:

Methanol isn't that toxic unless you drink a large amount of it. Your body has no trouble metabolizing it in small quantities.

Jeffrey,

This kind of post is actually potentially harmful. I have read that skin absorption is harmful. Permanent brain  effects are difficult to measure. Avandesande needs to be challenged, by you, offline. At least he should be asked to provide evidence to support his statement. 

It is a huge challenge to pronounce that something is safe, and then provide supporting research to back it up. 

Avandesande, please introduce yourself.

Jeffrey, thanks for all your great work over the years.

6 hours ago, not telling said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theliquorbarn.com/amp/polmos-spirytus-rektyfikowany-192-proof-750ml/

Alternative? Seems cheaper than everclear and probably easier to get than the Kentucky moonshine. And 192 proof. Reviews confirm that people choose to drink this. :blink:

It is excellent... but not always cheaper or as easy to get. I do use it when I can find it... but I don't drink it.

14 hours ago, avandesande said:

I worked as a chemist in the 90s and have worked extensively with solvents and large amounts of methanol. If you treat it like any other chemical (with respect) you will be fine.

Here is one of my patents

https://patents.google.com/patent/EP1327622A1/es

Thanks for introducing yourself. Can you help me find any research that says having methyl alcohol on your hands, or breathing its fumes is not harmful?

when violinmakers use denatured  alcohol, should they wear a voc face mask?

thanks

2 hours ago, violins88 said:

Thanks for introducing yourself. Can you help me find any research that says having methyl alcohol on your hands, or breathing its fumes is not harmful?

when violinmakers use denatured  alcohol, should they wear a voc face mask?

thanks

Well in his defense, if we look at the fragrance industry we see denat alc in virtually all them. So somewhere somehow small amounts were deemed "ok" but "they" use bogus science modeling all the time, that many people take as the gospel truth,  which often times is incorrect., so I think the question "if I use spray cologne everyday will there be toxic effects as if I was using shellac to french polish everyday?" is valid.

I do think amount has much to do with it, but it is used in cosmetics and fragrance all the time

And as far as the facemask is concerned the environment would have lots to do with that, but in general I suggest ppe all the time when working with anything toxic. 

but this of course skates the REAL question, why was grain alc poisoned with wood alc to begin with.?

all of those fragrances could have just as well used pure grain alc, and people could be spraying that onto their skin instead of "mild" poison, and in the same breath all the people who have suffered from occupational poisoning from denat ARE SUFFERING OR HAVE DIED FOR NO GOOD REASON. 

denatured alcohol is truly a good "subject" to study when studying criminal conspiracies that involve chemical/corporate/governmental entities.

All these things become like them trying to explain why its a good idea to secure your child's car seat to the roof of your car,  That's because there is no good reason, there is a "money" reason. 

Methanol is used in windshield wiper fluid and is found in foods such as fruits as a methyl ester. I am not going to continue further here, I believe the burden of proof lies with those making hysterical claims about the safety of a product that people are familiar with and have used for decades.

Follow the instructions on the warning label.

1 hour ago, jezzupe said:

Well in his defense, if we look at the fragrance industry we see denat alc in virtually all them. So somewhere somehow small amounts were deemed "ok" but "they" use bogus science modeling all the time, that many people take as the gospel truth,  which often times is incorrect., so I think the question "if I use spray cologne everyday will there be toxic effects as if I was using shellac to french polish everyday?" is valid.

I do think amount has much to do with it, but it is used in cosmetics and fragrance all the time

And as far as the facemask is concerned the environment would have lots to do with that, but in general I suggest ppe all the time when working with anything toxic. 

but this of course skates the REAL question, why was grain alc poisoned with wood alc to begin with.?

all of those fragrances could have just as well used pure grain alc, and people could be spraying that onto their skin instead of "mild" poison, and in the same breath all the people who have suffered from occupational poisoning from denat ARE SUFFERING OR HAVE DIED FOR NO GOOD REASON. 

denatured alcohol is truly a good "subject" to study when studying criminal conspiracies that involve chemical/corporate/governmental entities.

All these things become like them trying to explain why its a good idea to secure your child's car seat to the roof of your car,  That's because there is no good reason, there is a "money" reason. 

Very strongly agree. If you want to be baffled and angry then head over to the EWG project Skin Deep. Enter your favorite product and see it rated for the danger it poses. Endocrone disruptors, cancer-causing ingredients, reproductive harm, and on and on. Look it up. I guesd it's mostly men here, so tell your wives about that website. It's a huge undertaking that, obviously, industry is less than thrilled about. Denatured alcohol is the tip of the iceberg.

There's plenty of evidence-based science going on in this area, and it's all accessible easily on Skin Deep, don't take my word for it.