Sign in to follow this  
Dwight Brown

Nice German Violin Tarisio, NY

This violin looks kind of nice.  The condition report is quite a bit better than most.

https://tarisio.com/auctions/auction/lot/?csid=2199207936&cpid=3680976896&filter_key=

logo-email.png

Thank you for requesting the following condition report in our July 2020 auction:
Lot 50 – A GERMAN VIOLIN BY MATTHIAS HORNSTAINER II, MITTENWALD, 1800
l93597_1label.jpg
Back: in good condition Ribs: minor cracks at end button, lower treble, and upper bass Top: upper treble corner replaced, minor edge cracks, in good condition Head: in good condition Varnish: minor surface marks, light wear
16.4 cm
11.0 cm
20.0 cm
Please note: Condition reports are provided as a service to bidders, and although they are prepared as accurately as possible, in no way do they express or imply warranties of any kind on the part of Tarisio. Open seams, loose glue joints, missing or damaged accessories (pegs, bridges, tailpieces, chinrest, buttons, ivory tips, pearl eyes, and slides etc.) are not mentioned in Tarisio's condition reports. Bidders should carefully examine items before bidding.
If you have any questions about this lot, please let us know and we will be happy to help.

Tarisio

A handful of nicer violins for under 10K est. I like the look of the Lutz.

But lot 8 in London is the one for you. 

30 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

This one impresses me as the most delightfully entertaining offering.  Be sure and read the Gindin certificate, too.  :)

https://tarisio.com/auctions/auction/lot/?csid=2199207936&cpid=3603873792&filter_key=

I never know what's going on with Gadda, I'm just clueless on 20th century Italian instruments.

DLB

1 minute ago, Dwight Brown said:

I never know what's going on with Gadda, I'm just clueless on 20th century Italian instruments.

DLB

I've spent a fair amount of time trying to figure out whether Gadda's chicanery will help him or hurt him in the long run - after all, we know that Lott and the Vollers ultimately came out on top.

4 minutes ago, Three13 said:

I've spent a fair amount of time trying to figure out whether Gadda's chicanery will help him or hurt him in the long run - after all, we know that Lott and the Vollers ultimately came out on top.

I'm not saying anything to knock him, I just don't know anything!  :-)

DLB

Does it matter if the violin is as gorgeous as the one there ( Gadda)  and for only $7000 - $10000 ?

It will surely exceed that estimate.

16 hours ago, Dwight Brown said:

This violin looks kind of nice.

I clicked on your picture expecting to see a viola !  :)

But its a very nice German violin with what appears to be an original label.

9 hours ago, Delabo said:

Does it matter if the violin is as gorgeous as the one there ( Gadda)  and for only $7000 - $10000 ?

It will surely exceed that estimate.

The Gadda is in London so the price is in pounds :(

On 7/1/2020 at 7:07 PM, Three13 said:

Can you go into a bit of detail? Chicanery in what way?

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

Can you go into a bit of detail? Chicanery in what way?

Mario Gadda was a very talented builder, but doesn't seem to have troubled himself too  much where ethics were concerned. He made copies as well as forgeries, some of which he then certified as genuine. The cherry on top is that he also essentially forged his own brand, selling factory/workshop fiddles as genuine Mario Gaddas.

So there are straight Mario Gaddas, MG violins in the style of other builders (Gaetano Gadda, Pollastri, etc.) that make it clear that they are his work, copies of those makers by MG that were intended to deceive, workshop instruments that were presented as his work, and every other imaginable permutation that could have been sold out of his shop, as well as things that had absolutely nothing to do with him, but had fake labels stuck in them by someone else.

He's been dead for around 12 years, and there is still a seemingly endless stream of Gadda product showing up, apparently coming from his family. It seems to me as though the situation can't help but be problematic.

10 minutes ago, Three13 said:

Mario Gadda was a very talented builder, but doesn't seem to have troubled himself too  much where ethics were concerned. He made copies as well as forgeries, some of which he then certified as genuine. The cherry on top is that he also essentially forged his own brand, selling factory/workshop fiddles as genuine Mario Gaddas.

So there are straight Mario Gaddas, MG violins in the style of other builders (Gaetano Gadda, Pollastri, etc.) that make it clear that they are his work, copies of those makers by MG that were intended to deceive, workshop instruments that were presented as his work, and every other imaginable permutation that could have been sold out of his shop, as well as things that had absolutely nothing to do with him, but had fake labels stuck in them by someone else.

He's been dead for around 12 years, and there is still a seemingly endless stream of Gadda product showing up, apparently coming from his family. It seems to me as though the situation can't help but be problematic.

That’s a really interesting story, he faked his own stuff, Ha ha ha. I wonder if he would’ve recognized a fake Gadda made by somebody else.

Are his forgeries good? Or are they easily recognized as him? Or is that another mystery that has to be solved on a case by case basis?

I really appreciate this, I will buy the book when someone writes it.

33 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Are his forgeries good? Or are they easily recognized as him? Or is that another mystery that has to be solved on a case by case basis?

I don't think that the Pollastri copy in the sale would fool anyone, but you'd have to talk to someone very knowledgable to know whether the forgery grade stuff is that tricky. I'd imagine his Gaetano Gadda copies could be pretty accurate.

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

That’s a really interesting story, he faked his own stuff, Ha ha ha. I wonder if he would’ve recognized a fake Gadda made by somebody else.

I really appreciate this, I will buy the book when someone writes it.

Here's an older thread on these matters:  https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/327755-mario-gadda/  :)