Jump to content
Maestronet Forums

Stradivarius violin talks to you


Carl Stross
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, GeorgeH said:

"Wie lieblich sind deine Wohnungen" ("How Lovely is Thy Dwelling Place") is almost unbearably beautiful.

Yes, and how!  This chorus has been running through my mind all morning, and the pure flute voice is heavenly.  

I can understand that for a cellist who has to play the same note for several minutes just prior to this heavenly chorus, one could feel quite worn out! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2020 at 12:48 PM, martin swan said:

Sorry?

How do you know how I play when road testing a violin? If I didn't play at least to some extent like my clients then I wouldn't succeed in my business.

My last Strad experience was comparing two Golden Period Strads with Veronika Eberle in the Philharmonie in Berlin. She is hardly a light player!

Darn it, I wrapped it around a tree...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2020 at 12:49 PM, PhilipKT said:

Well, most of the people involved in that concert are dead, so I guess they kept their secret. The album cover shows everyone holding their instruments, I should look it up to see if the gentleman in question at least used the Strad for the photo, haha.

Yes, they were sworn to secrecy. They knew that the Illuminati would come for them if they talked, you know, about the Juzek Master Arts. Shhh, drats, I heard a knock at the door...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Fossil Ledges said:

Allegedly...

Well, I did buy the first violin Carl Becker handed me.  But not until I had played everything else in town.  :D

And on my recommendation, a friend of mine bought a violin from Becker on the spot, but he never even left the shop.

So it can work, but if I were a soloist and the recipient of a white elephant, I think I would want to have some say, or maybe secretly substitute something better in public.  I might say that I was the recipient of a loan of a Strad, without actually claiming to play it. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, La Folia said:

Well, I did buy the first violin Carl Becker handed me.  But not until I had played everything else in town.  :D

And on my recommendation, a friend of mine bought a violin from Becker on the spot, but he never even left the shop.

So it can work, but if I were a soloist and the recipient of a white elephant, I think I would want to have some say, or maybe secretly substitute something better in public.  ;)

Are you saying that you bought a Carl Becker from Carl Becker Junior?

What an exciting experience that must’ve been. Very fine makers, father and son both.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, violinsRus said:

Yes, and how!  This chorus has been running through my mind all morning, and the pure flute voice is heavenly.  

I can understand that for a cellist who has to play the same note for several minutes just prior to this heavenly chorus, one could feel quite worn out! 

Brahms has lovely melodies, and make no mistake. I don’t think anybody, not even Wagner, disagreed with that. Somebody wrote that each of them was too good a musician not to recognize the others genius.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Brahms has lovely melodies, and make no mistake. I don’t think anybody, not even Wagner, disagreed with that. Somebody wrote that each of them was too good a musician not to recognize the others genius.

That's like saying Bach wrote great counterpoint - true but doesn't come close to explaining the thrill we lucky ones get. The Requiem was the first Brahms I performed as a treble in the chorus. Next came the second symphony as a second violin and I've been blown away at regular intervals ever since. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, matesic said:

That's like saying Bach wrote great counterpoint - true but doesn't come close to explaining the thrill we lucky ones get. The Requiem was the first Brahms I performed as a treble in the chorus. Next came the second symphony as a second violin and I've been blown away at regular intervals ever since. 

Yes on both counts. With Bach, as with Mozart and Haydn, the workings are in the background and all you experience is the music. I will never disagree with those who enjoy the Requiem or any other Brahms work, because we enjoy what we enjoy. But I have always found him dreadfully Dull.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

Are you saying that you bought a Carl Becker from Carl Becker Junior?

What an exciting experience that must’ve been. Very fine makers, father and son both.

I couldn't afford a Becker, but he sold me a wonderful violin that still had his hand in it.  He made it possible for me to buy a really nice instrument at a price I could afford.  And it was always a thoroughly enjoyable experience talking to him.  He was always very patient with me, and I think he genuinely enjoyed contact with his customers.  I miss him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, La Folia said:

I couldn't afford a Becker, but he sold me a wonderful violin that still had his hand in it.  He made it possible for me to buy a really nice instrument at a price I could afford.  And it was always a thoroughly enjoyable experience talking to him.  He was always very patient with me, and I think he genuinely enjoyed contact with his customers.  I miss him.

Yes, Carl Jr. was always very patient. I miss him too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Carl wrote:

Stradivarius violin talks to you

_______________________________________

OK, the orifice in my most nether regions talks, too. I do not yet possess the skill to emit multiple malodorous pages of Shakespeare with flawless diction, but you can be assured that I am working on this very aggressively. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Carl wrote:

Stradivarius violin talks to you

_______________________________________

OK, the orifice in my most nether regions talks, too. I do not yet possess the skill to emit multiple stinky pages of Shakespeare with flawless diction, but you can be assured that I am working on this very aggressively. ;)

 

10 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

I bet that your orifice can't speak Italian

 

7 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

That's my next project. ;)

 

Put it all together, and there'll be a genuinely hellish Youtube reading of Dante in the works............  :ph34r::lol::P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

With a bit more practice, I should be able to hit the high notes.

(Notice that none of them are wearing pants, so that might be important)

which of them do you like the most?  i like the one at 1:00 even though to my ear the note is a hair flat

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

which of them do you like the most?  i like the one at 1:00 even though to my ear the note is a hair flat

You might like Erna Sack, Ingeborg Hallstein and the excellent albeit dry Mado Robin. I don't remember her well but I think Erna Sack could hit a C7 full steam. 

Can't find Sack but here's Hallstein :

 

 

Edited by Carl Stross
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Carl Stross said:

You might like Erna Sack, Ingeborg Hallstein and the excellent albeit dry Mado Robin. I don't remember her well but I think Erna Sack could hit a C7 full steam. 

Can't find Sack but here's Hallstein :

 

 

This is wonderful. Plus she’s probably dancing around doing stage business while she sings. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

This is wonderful. Plus she’s probably dancing around doing stage business while she sings. 

She had great stage skill. Quite a few clips on YT. This one is absolutely brilliant :

 

I often listen to her just to remind myself how proper singing used to sound :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2emHwSHzhto

If you wonder why some music star never made a big soprano career, here's why. :)  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...