Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

ummm I probably shouldn’t share but...

Someone sure likes to kick up dust!

First we have BassClef and his Heideggers...

Now Phillip and his Juzeks...

What could possibly come next? :o

48 minutes ago, Rue said:

Someone sure likes to kick up dust!

First we have BassClef and his Heideggers...

Now Phillip and his Juzeks...

What could possibly come next? :o

Notice what price category this one is posted in.  From previous tracks it has left, it appears to be the "1970 c." (actually dated 1973} Mario Salustri, with a certificate from Cesare Magrini (Roma, 6th May 2015),  auctioned by Tarisio as Lot 149 in December 2015 for $2640. :ph34r:  rotfl.gif.ad2f160da4efecaf7d8086e11911a86f.gif

http://vintageviolins.com/m-salustri-violin/

Too bad for the saddle crack. It looks like a nice violin IMO and a very reasonable estimate.

On 6/25/2020 at 12:27 AM, Violadamore said:

Notice what price category this one is posted in.  From previous tracks it has left, it appears to be the "1970 c." (actually dated 1973} Mario Salustri, with a certificate from Cesare Magrini (Roma, 6th May 2015),  auctioned by Tarisio as Lot 149 in December 2015 for $2640. :ph34r:  rotfl.gif.ad2f160da4efecaf7d8086e11911a86f.gif

http://vintageviolins.com/m-salustri-violin/

Yea. This is what makes me skeptical about Salustri. This seems significantly better than his other work...

33 minutes ago, JRyn said:

Yea. This is what makes me skeptical about Salustri. This seems significantly better than his other work...

It's simple.  He made pretty ones for sale (the last of which sold soon after his death), and made the others while chasing the Stradivarian acoustic grail, testing varnishes, practicing techniques, etc.  His experimental violins are functional but not pretty, and were kept in his old shop by the family, who were finally convinced to sell them last year.  The one I ended up with is a fine player that performs well above its market value, but won't win any awards for visual aesthetics (which suits me just fine).  Think of it as either an "armory grade" fine violin, or as a unique pre-production prototype.   A Benelli still shoots like crazy without the chrome, burl walnut, and fancy engraving.  :lol:  :) 

16 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

It's simple.  He made pretty ones for sale (the last of which sold soon after his death), and made the others while chasing the Stradivarian acoustic grail, testing varnishes, practicing techniques, etc.  His experimental violins are functional but not pretty, and were kept in his old shop by the family, who were finally convinced to sell them last year.  The one I ended up with is a fine player that performs well above its market value, but won't win any awards for visual aesthetics (which suits me just fine).  Think of it as either an "armory grade" fine violin, or as a unique pre-production prototype.   A Benelli still shoots like crazy without the chrome, burl walnut, and fancy engraving.  :lol:  :) 

Except it didn't even seem like he had the skill to make a proper bridge

13 minutes ago, JRyn said:

Except it doesn't even seem like he could make a proper bridge

Salustri didn't make the bridge.  It was missing at auction, and the guy I bought from made the one I pitched, along with including a Suzuki tuner, steel strings, and a plastic chinrest that also got replaced.  I expect he does a better job with more financial incentive.  The slight impressions I found in the top (which the pitched bridge didn't match at all) showed that not only did Salustri cut his feet right, but that he'd played this fiddle a lot.  :lol: