Sign in to follow this  
Adrian Lopez

Post your workbench

The top of my bench measures 30 inches by 70 inches by 32 inches high.  I do most work seated at the left side.  I made the base from construction-grade 2 by 4s.  The top was plywood for about 15 years, until I found a  used butcher-block kitchen counter top at the local flea market for $10.  Although you can't really see it in the picture, there is another vice, indentical to the one on the left, on the right end.  Both vises have clamping dogs that can be raised, so the vise on the right end can be used to clamp long objects lying on the top of the bench.

P1110085.thumb.JPG.ed60be76e98a25cd4fa7f455cf4a9e0c.JPG

The bench has two very useful features:

The back edge is notched out to fit a vertical cleat bolted to the wall.  This rigidly immobilizes the bench while allowing me to easily move it away from the wall if I want.

P1110086.thumb.JPG.72e2f227eb9c24514529bef6109bd981.JPG

Two opposing maple wedges inserting in a rectangular through-hole near the front left corner make a  planing stop that is flush with the top when not in use but that can be easily set to any height.

P1110090.thumb.JPG.6b266cb733ecf1e296fd51a3ff3d9b3c.JPG

13 hours ago, Michael Darnton said:

I've already mentioned my current bench, 18x48 inches (Amazon, $120) in a 4x5 foot basement cedar closet. The tool box is two feet wide, for scale. No cellos allowed. It's working for me. 

20200521_112237.jpg

I really like the efficient use of such a small space. I like the cozyness. 

Anyways here is my garbage bench. Just MDF double laminated with pine legs. I added the little board on the back recently with a lil rail to hold my chisels and junk. 

IMG_20200622_000235.jpg

15 hours ago, Christopher Jacoby said:

This is my baby, built by the amazing Frank Straza furniture. Look him up if you'd like an heirloom!

IMG_1584.jpg

7 hours ago, Peter Lynch said:

I have been eyeing that attatchable vice he makes and was wondering how much you  use that and what for.  It sure looks cool

As the design on the outside clearly shows, it's an ff-hole punch. There's an ff-hole-shaped cookie-cutter-like device attached to one side. You put the top in the vise, tighten the screw, and there's your ff-hole. ;)

8 hours ago, Peter Lynch said:

I have been eyeing that attatchable vice he makes and was wondering how much you  use that and what for.  It sure looks cool

a "hi-vise!' I use it for a lot of what I use a patternmaker's vise for-- clamping a scroll in a jig for the work to graft it, clamping a cello scroll so I can plane the fingerboard... I clamped a bassbar blank yesterday to true it up quartered a little better

54 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

As the design on the outside clearly shows, it's an ff-hole punch. There's an ff-hole-shaped cookie-cutter-like device attached to one side. You put the top in the vise, tighten the screw, and there's your ff-hole. ;)

shhhhhhhhh i need a few months before the patent is ready

7 hours ago, Brad Dorsey said:

Two opposing maple wedges inserting in a rectangular through-hole near the front left corner make a  planing stop that is flush with the top when not in use but that can be easily set to any height.

P1110090.thumb.JPG.6b266cb733ecf1e296fd51a3ff3d9b3c.JPG

I had that at B&F, but quickly realized that for the specific jobs where I used the folding wedge, a 1/4 inch machine screw worked well.  It sticks up half the thickness of a bass bar or fingerboard.

20200622_112558.jpg

Here are pictures of my workbenches.  These are the ones I use most with the tools in easy reach.

59177587_Guitarandviolinbench.thumb.jpg.1c3f37a595067a1ee6275d2d272e6953.jpg

The second is across from the ones above and is an easy reach either standing or sitting. In addition to the leg vise there are two end vises on the right and a couple of rows of bench dogs for larger projects.  I made this bench about 20 years ago. 

Workbench.thumb.jpg.25189ae987d64de9b2703fb280fb7950.jpg

I like having a couple of projects going at the same time, and this set up works for me.

Danny

My workbench is quite traditional, I have two other similar ones around the workshop, but this is the main one I use. I modified the height with shims under the feet to customize it, and I added two gadgets, a wooden list for planing small pieces and a retractable stop for sawing pieces.

680176694_WorkbenchDavidesora.thumb.JPG.3d6650226e567b81ae1fb53b2d8f40d4.JPG

1953736485_Workbenchgadget1.JPG.b7fd501a99b6c9de3a76cf31d1be9413.JPG

1465529466_Workbenchgadget2.JPG.d60ec5c31938eb21dafca05389c8eb14.JPG

1802975189_Workbenchgadget3.JPG.3a9a8cf362dcd09221d29ba9a11d2dc2.JPG

I really like the funky well-used benches like Brad's and Davide's. They just look very comfy to me. My grandfather had a furniture company, and his own home shop had a lot of that pure-function ambience to it! in general, I'm really enjoying everyone's photos of where they work, and I'd love to see more wider views, too.

Thank you all for posting pictures of your benches. I don't have a bench myself, but I bought a wagon vise and a wooden screw for a face vise from Richard Maguire back when he was still making benches for sale and I thought I'd share. Lack of space, money, and access to a well-equiped woodworking shop have kept me from attempting to build a workbench for myself, but I intend to do so eventually.

20200623_015134 sm.jpg

20200623_014302 sm.jpg

20200623_014444 sm.jpg

20200623_014546 sm.jpg

On 6/22/2020 at 12:55 AM, Christopher Jacoby said:

This is my baby, built by the amazing Frank Straza furniture. Look him up if you'd like an heirloom!

IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1584.jpg

Wow, that is really is something and looks beautiful! I guess it must weigh about the same as a blue whale too?
If I had a bench like this I would not be able to get any work done, for fear of scratching it, or cutting into the top by mistake :o

One thing is for sure, whoever was responsible for the Strad magazine designer workshop feature, is going to totally piss their pants when they see this!!

On 6/21/2020 at 10:00 PM, Michael Darnton said:

I've already mentioned my current bench, 18x48 inches (Amazon, $120) in a 4x5 foot basement cedar closet. The tool box is two feet wide, for scale. No cellos allowed. It's working for me. 

20200521_112237.jpg

wow - this is the coolest small work space i've ever seen!

On 6/22/2020 at 12:33 PM, Michael Darnton said:

I had that at B&F, but quickly realized that for the specific jobs where I used the folding wedge, a 1/4 inch machine screw worked well.  It sticks up half the thickness of a bass bar or fingerboard.

20200622_112558.jpg

That looks like a really neat idea. When planing against a bench dog, I often have issues with the bench dog rising or falling during planing, depending on the curvature of the wood.

17 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

4DD3FACF-135B-4280-9B95-3C6D0ABB2265.thumb.jpeg.488af8cd38bf3dbb1d0ccbe2c2f41503.jpeg

I love whatever is it you're building there on the lower left corner of the photo! (looks like a fancy box or perhaps a little table of sorts)

2 hours ago, FoxMitchell said:

I love whatever is it you're building there on the lower left corner of the photo! (looks like a fancy box or perhaps a little table of sorts)

Thanks. That's the base and top of a jewelry box armoire for SWMBO.  Wood is cherry.  Still need to put the carcass together and make the drawers. 

34 minutes ago, Jim Bress said:

Thanks. That's the base and top of a jewelry box armoire for SWMBO.  Wood is cherry.  Still need to put the carcass together and make the drawers. 

Show us that on your workbench thread when it's done?  :) 

Just now, FoxMitchell said:

Show us that on your workbench thread when it's done?  :) 

I am required to finish it before the cello if I don’t want the couch to be my new bed. :lol:

Things are spread around my fairly roomy shop, and I do other things besides instruments. Here is one end of my main bench where I'm revarnishing one of my fiddles.Bench.jpg.66e3e127e150a93ed3f3b644e539ec7c.jpg