Maestronet Forums

Dominant Strings on Ebay....Too Good to be True?

Brad H

About 10 days ago, I bought three more sets of Dominants, for $30 each, from the same Ebay seller I bought from before, who claims to be located in Jacksonville, Florida.  Each set arrived in a separate package from Shar accompanied by a Shar invoice indicating a $69.95 payment by credit card.

On 6/21/2020 at 4:20 PM, Porteroso said:

... If you're small potatoes, ebay/Shar won't be looking that hard at you. 

I'm not so sure about that.  A half an hour ago a local police officer arrived at our house.  He had been given my name and address by Shar, and he came to see if I knew anything about some violin strings.  He said Shar told him they have had a number of irregular string sales lately.  I told him what I could and he left.

Do I need a lawyer?

As has been said before this is all credit card fraud. 

Brad, I think you should be OK as its not your fault. Worst case you might have to return the strings and you lose $90. 

Having said that I guess some laws differ from state to state in the US. 

On 6/19/2020 at 7:06 PM, GeorgeH said:

Middle-people buying from Amazon and selling for a higher price on eBay is perfectly legitimate and not scammy or even close to illegal. Neither is selling on eBay and using Amazon to drop-ship to the seller's eBay customers.

I am not sure why anybody has the slightest problem with this. 

Because it's obviously a scam and somebody's getting robbed?

43 minutes ago, Herman West said:

Because it's obviously a scam and somebody's getting robbed?

No, that is not the scam that is being described here. What is illegal is using stolen credit card numbers.

If somebody sold strings on eBay for $70 that they bought and drop-shipped from Shar for $60 using their own credit card, that is perfectly legal and legitimate.

What Brad and others are describing is clearly illegal.

On 7/11/2020 at 4:03 PM, Brad Dorsey said:

A half an hour ago a local police officer arrived at our house. 

Well, it's good to see that Shar is trying to stop the practice,;  they could have kept quiet and continued to make  a profit from the fraudulent sales.   Now, if Ebay would  even pretend that they cared about fraud...

3 hours ago, Brad H said:

Well, it's good to see that Shar is trying to stop the practice,;  they could have kept quiet and continued to make  a profit from the fraudulent sales.   Now, if Ebay would  even pretend that they cared about fraud...

If  I'm  not  mistaken, in these situations, Shar loses 100% of the money on the strings when the fraudulent charge is reported -  they aren't the beneficiary of these scams, they're the victim.

50 minutes ago, Three13 said:

If  I'm  not  mistaken, in these situations, Shar loses 100% of the money on the strings when the fraudulent charge is reported -  they aren't the beneficiary of these scams, they're the victim.

If the credit card company validates the CC number and the charge, I don't think Shar loses the money, I think the credit card company takes the loss. 

6 hours ago, Brad H said:

Now, if Ebay would  even pretend that they cared about fraud...

You mean, like the phone company does, or like the cops care about burglaries?  :ph34r:   

8 hours ago, Televet said:

The pursuit of the lowest price for everything is likely to take one to dark places and expose one to shady people.

[Sits on her truck tailgate, where she's parked under a spreading live-oak hung with festoons of Spanish moss, and makes a rude gesture.]  Think you could choose some better metaphors for "untrustworthy"?  :P:lol:

28 minutes ago, Brad Dorsey said:

If Shar weren't losing money, why would they bother to call the cops?

If they know and don't do anything, then they are committing fraud, too.

If it keeps happening, they can also lose their merchant accounts so they need to figure out how to stop it before the charge goes through.

I think eBay can also be held responsible for selling stolen merchandise. If the buyer returns the strings to Shar, then eBay must refund the buyer under the eBay Money Back Guarantee because stolen mechandise was not in the description.

I discovered that I had purchased a stolen violin once from another internet site. I called the person it was stolen from, and then I called the police. The insurance had already paid for the violin. I sent the violin to the police for evidence, and the website refunded me in full even though they did not know it was stolen, either.

1 hour ago, GeorgeH said:

If the credit card company validates the CC number and the charge, I don't think Shar loses the money, I think the credit card company takes the loss. 

I just went through a chargeback for $5,000 on a deal that was not entirely unlike this. 100% of everything on my end was kosher, the shipping address matched the card's  billing address, and the item was shipped registered and signed for. The processor didn't take the loss. Don't expect any of these companies to take a loss if they can pull the  money out of your account.

15 hours ago, Three13 said:

I just went through a chargeback for $5,000 on a deal that was not entirely unlike this. 100% of everything on my end was kosher, the shipping address matched the card's  billing address, and the item was shipped registered and signed for. The processor didn't take the loss. Don't expect any of these companies to take a loss if they can pull the  money out of your account.

This. Merchant almost always takes the loss. Ask me how I know:angry:. My last one was only $800.00, but it still burns.

20 hours ago, Violadamore said:

You mean, like the phone company does, or like the cops care about burglaries?  :ph34r:   

[Sits on her truck tailgate, where she's parked under a spreading live-oak hung with festoons of Spanish moss, and makes a rude gesture.]  Think you could choose some better metaphors for "untrustworthy"?  :P:lol:

[There's a lookout posted a hundred feet away, on the truck's tailgate is a blanket with a number of Juzek Violas on it...]

5 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

That is awful. $5,000 is a lot to lose! I wonder if the Shar scammers are using CC cards from foreign banks.

Unfortunately, it seems like it’s a cost of doing business. We’ve completely revamped our credit card policy as a result, and I’m essentially no longer taking them from people I haven’t done a fair amount of business with.

There is always a victim, and it's not always the faceless CC company.  I bought a BAM case from Shar during one of their sales.  I had to order over the phone because the website was not applying the 30% off.  On the phone, the sales associate accidentally applied the 30% discount twice.  As much as I would have loved to have a 51% discount, I told her she had calculated the price wrong.  She thanked me profusely, because I suspect the extra percentage would have come out of her paycheck.  If it seems too good to be true, it usually is.