Maestronet Forums

Difference silver / tinsel lapping

match

Could someone tell me what's the approximate weight difference between a 0.30 mm silver lapping and a 0.35 mm silver tinsel lapping? 

I know I could weight a similar long piece of each to get the difference (minus approx. 25% from the tinsel for the diameter), but my scale is out of order and I'm still waiting for two weeks for a new one.

Perhaps somebody has a number... Thanks

Thank you both very much for your prompt answers. Yes, the balance point was the reason for my question. I'm afraid I have to sacrifice  the "auction weight" of a probably Knopf to the optimal balance. Are there any numbers of how far the balance point will move up with hair vs without? Perhaps the winding should be done after rehairing in this case. Thanks again!

I dont think theres a thing called optimal balance as its player specific. If your talking talking to as the maker intended the lapping would have probably been  tinsel or silk/tinsel.

I dont think hair has much of an overall effect on balance as its mass is  distributed more or less evenly along the length of the stick. But how long the hair is would as regards to the frog position.

11 minutes ago, fiddlecollector said:

I dont think hair has much of an overall effect on balance as its mass is  distributed more or less evenly along the length of the stick. But how long the hair is would as regards to the frog position.

Wouldn’t hair affect the bow balance, because there’s more of it on the head end side of the balance point than the frog end? The balance point isn’t in the middle of the stick, right?

I really appreciate the kindness and generosity of sharing your knowledge and experience. Thanks for that!

FC: I also believe that an optimal (let's call it "favourite") balance point in terms of weight is player specific. But I believe on an for the most  players (let´s call it "democratically" :)) optimal point with regard to off string techniques balanced between power/strength and softness/suspension.  Matching these two points in one would be an ideal. And yes, this bow came with a rest of silver tinsel.

5 hours ago, MarkBouquet said:

Wouldn’t hair affect the bow balance, because there’s more of it on the head end side of the balance point than the frog end? The balance point isn’t in the middle of the stick, right?

I suppose but my point is you need hair on a bow to play it but you can play a bow without lapping. Im confusing myself . Hair isnt distributed on  small section of the bow .