Sign in to follow this  
Wood Butcher

Covid treasures

I like the squash, such an unusual design.   I wonder does anyone actually pay those prices for ebay junk?   Maybe I should sell mine there.  

#2 looks like a Bergonzi with an eating disorder.

I once heard a Zoller Viola (#5) that sounded incredible, but doubt you could get anyone to play one publicly.

3 hours ago, MikeC said:

I like the squash, such an unusual design.   I wonder does anyone actually pay those prices for ebay junk?   Maybe I should sell mine there.  

The answer is "Yes, sort of", with the acknowledgement that the way that you asked the question has a flaw in it.  Not everything offered on eBay is junk.  The days of most of what's offered coming from other consumers emptying their attics and garages is long over.  Many, if not most, sellers nowadays are businesses, not all of them small.  Many buyers are also now businesspeople as well. You can legitimately pay many thousands of dollars for a lot of things offered on eBay.  Much of this might be summarized as the "deep" eBay, which shopping consumers never see, because they aren't specifically looking for it, and their tailored searches for popular goodies won't take them there.  Most of it is business-to-business, and overwhelmingly legitimate in nature.  Here's a prime example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HYUNDAI-ROBEX160LC-9/372767096281?  There's an entire other international economy quietly running on eBay, because it's incredibly convenient.

With regard strictly to upper-range musical instruments, I'd be very careful, even if dealing with a seller you absolutely know to be a "reputable" brick and mortar shop somewhere.  There's nothing else like hands-on testing and examination, because so much is subjective.  Frequently, this can be arranged, if you take the trouble.  I wouldn't expect any bargains, though, just convenience compared to having to fly yourself somewhere to shop, plus the buyer protections available.

While I've gotten a lot of tools, parts and supplies there, I personally limit my as-is fiddle purchases on eBay to stuff that I absolutely know what it is (lotsa "homework", and usually, buyer contact), and that I can fix any problems easily, before I bid on it.  I also have a never-exceed limit, but what it is, is a secret.   Publicly, I announce "Fifty dollars and FREE SHIPPING!!", as a basis to bargain from.  :lol:

2 hours ago, Violadamore said:

The answer is "Yes, sort of", with the acknowledgement that the way that you asked the question has a flaw in it.  Not everything offered on eBay is junk.  The days of most of what's offered coming from other consumers emptying their attics and garages is long over.  Many, if not most, sellers nowadays are businesses, not all of them small.  Many buyers are also now businesspeople as well. You can legitimately pay many thousands of dollars for a lot of things offered on eBay.  Much of this might be summarized as the "deep" eBay, which shopping consumers never see, because they aren't specifically looking for it, and their tailored searches for popular goodies won't take them there.  Most of it is business-to-business, and overwhelmingly legitimate in nature.  Here's a prime example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HYUNDAI-ROBEX160LC-9/372767096281?  There's an entire other international economy quietly running on eBay, because it's incredibly convenient.

With regard strictly to upper-range musical instruments, I'd be very careful, even if dealing with a seller you absolutely know to be a "reputable" brick and mortar shop somewhere.  There's nothing else like hands-on testing and examination, because so much is subjective.  Frequently, this can be arranged, if you take the trouble.  I wouldn't expect any bargains, though, just convenience compared to having to fly yourself somewhere to shop, plus the buyer protections available.

While I've gotten a lot of tools, parts and supplies there, I personally limit my as-is fiddle purchases on eBay to stuff that I absolutely know what it is (lotsa "homework", and usually, buyer contact), and that I can fix any problems easily, before I bid on it.  I also have a never-exceed limit, but what it is, is a secret.   Publicly, I announce "Fifty dollars and FREE SHIPPING!!", as a basis to bargain from.  :lol:

But it's Very Antique and the Paint is Brown!

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

But does he have a Juzek?

No, he does not, but Phillip does! Very Antique, Such Rare, Much Prague!

3 minutes ago, Fossil Ledges said:

But it's Very Antique and the Paint is Brown!

The Hyundai-Robex is a very serious viola repair tool!

The sellers description states "This is a nasty rat fiddle i handmade from old barn wood and salvaged parts sounds nasty and awful just like it looks" 

1 hour ago, JRyn said:

The sellers description states "This is a nasty rat fiddle i handmade from old barn wood and salvaged parts sounds nasty and awful just like it looks" 

I love an honest description! 

What's the asking price?

1 hour ago, Rue said:

I love an honest description! 

What's the asking price?

$80.  But it just sold shortly after I posted this (not to me).