Sign in to follow this  
Shelbow

Any thoughts on this Violin?

Hello good people, does anyone have any thoughts on this curious violin?

Could it be Czech?

It is quite asymmetrical in places and the varnish is just all over the place. When you take it outside into the sunlight it is all shades of red, but inside or in lower light it is a nasty brown (Is it a vampire?). Oddly the colour when it is inside is pretty consistent, it is only when it goes outside that you see the true horror. I'm presuming this has been over varnished and touched up quite a bit.

It's labelled Eduard Gregr in Cremona 1850 something, but I presume this is fictional. However inside there is a label hidden on the neck block for Benjamin Patocka 1894, There is a number on the label which corresponds to a number hand written on the back. I presume this could also be fake but I thought it would be interesting to share.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Shelzzzzzzzzzzz

JPG00004.JPG

JPG00007.JPG

DSC_2931.JPG

DSC_2932.JPG

DSC_2933.JPG

DSC_2934.JPG

DSC_2935.JPG

DSC_2936.JPG

DSC_2937.JPG

DSC_2938.JPG

DSC_2939.JPG

DSC_2940.JPG

DSC_2941.JPG

DSC_2942.JPG

DSC_2943.JPG

5 minutes ago, mathieu valde said:

Patocka is repair label.

Yes I assumed that was probably the case, not sure if even that is genuine though. 

2 minutes ago, Shelbow said:

Yes I assumed that was probably the case, not sure if even that is genuine though. 

It looks remarkably white, and not a speck of dust on it.

Yeah looks a bit too clean and also bears no similarity to other Patocka label I have seen in my search repair or otherwise. 

There was a famous Czech politician called Eduard Gregr from around the time of the dates on the labels, so I wonder if it is some kinda of inside joke kind of thing.

Labels that are upright within an instrument don't really accumulate dust.

The label is consistent with an 1890s Patočka label cut down to fit on the top block, and "opravil" means "repaired by".

I agree that the violin is the usual Schoenbach offering, but I would assume it's pre-1894 and repaired by Patočka.