Hi All

Has anyone any thoughts on these two violins?

https://www.bromptons.co/auction/22nd-june-2020/lots/273-an-english-violin-by-david-dix-london-1991.html

https://www.bromptons.co/auction/22nd-june-2020/lots/288-a-good-french-violin-by-paolo-fiorini-circa-1920.html

The David Dix looks potentially a good buy? (not a fan of the back though!). 

Thanks in advance

The David Dix looks OK, slightly auto-didact and possibly rather heavily built. I don't know this maker and have never seen one at retail, only at auction.

The Paolo Fiorini is very typical, nice clean example,  but these were made in Markneukirchen not France and the estimate seems more like a retail price.

8 minutes ago, martin swan said:

The David Dix looks OK, slightly auto-didact and possibly rather heavily built. I don't know this maker and have never seen one at retail, only at auction.

The Paolo Fiorini is very typical, nice clean example,  but these were made in Markneukirchen not France and the estimate seems more like a retail price.

Thanks. Yes the estimate for the Fiorini seems high but maybe worth a shot at the starting price I’m thinking. 

59 minutes ago, elise2000 said:

potential buyer. I do have some bows consigned to the sale though. 

I am curious as to why potential bidders draw attention here for something that they want to buy. It seems that the most likely outcome is a higher price for the item.

However, a dishonestly poor assessment of an item here from interested competitive buyers might also be posted to strategically discourage other bidders. This may or may not work to depress the price.

2 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

I am curious as to why potential bidders draw attention here for something that they want to buy. It seems that the most likely outcome is a higher price for the item.

However, a dishonestly poor assessment of an item here from interested competitive buyers might also be posted to strategically discourage other bidders. This may or may not work to depress the price.

I'd guess most buyers from the forum browse all the auctions anyway so would probably see any particularly interesting lots themselves.

Fair points though. 

7 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

Indeed, that's always been one of the quirks of The Auction Scroll!

Just for the record, I have absolutely no interest in either item, as a buyer or a seller. But you're right that one should be wary of any advice or opinions given here, and suspicious of people who draw attention to items.

4 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Just for the record, I have absolutely no interest in either item, as a buyer or a seller. But you're right that one should be wary of any advice or opinions given here, and suspicious of people who draw attention to items.

Point noted and sorry to arouse suspicion! 

I have to agree that I would not mention any item that I would genuinely be interested in that is currently for sale. I would do my own research and make my own decisions (wrong or right) based on that, however I totally understand that it is good to get other opinions.

I am however happy to make people aware of auctions that are currently happening in general as I enjoy the discussions :P.

My own feeling is that everybody here knows more than I do, Everybody here has already looked at the widget about which I am inquiring, so there’s no harm in asking.

I have managed to get some nice stuff, and I’ve avoided some things that had too many question marks, so all is well.

1 hour ago, GeorgeH said:

55 minutes ago, martin swan said:

I too always found this a bizarre thing, and felt in some ways there was an ulterior motive, for it makes no sense to expose your potential bargain to a wider audience, especially as they may have more knowledge or money.
It does make sense for an owner to gain more exposure however.

That said, I don't think we are looking at any sleepers here ;)

I do not know who David Dix is, but from the shape of the corners and quality of the purfling, I'm not feeling too excited about it, but it may sound fine. A google search reveals instruments dating back to 1970.

The Paulo Fiorini seems a much better prospect, but it is clear to me that these are going to be in very different price categories when the hammer falls.

On 6/9/2020 at 4:25 PM, chrissweden said:

Can we play a quizz "let's find the fakes?"

I'll start, Jean-Jacques Audinot  never made any octagonal sticks according to his son Pascal. The head,frog,button are all wrong.

Lorenzo Frassino Guado. Never were Italian, but made by an Englishman called Lawrence.

According to Plowright 2004. "Dix David b. 1940. Contemporary. He was first attracted to violin making by reading E.H.Varney's articles in the "Woodworker" and later had tuition from William Luff. He started making in 1956 and to date has made about 30 violins, 120 violas and 6 cellos. His instruments are always oil varnished and he prefers the varnish to be deep in colour. Label 'David Dix/ violin maker in/19 Logo 85/Southwark London".

On 6/9/2020 at 3:51 PM, martin swan said:

I ask questions as Iook at violins out of interest, this doesn't mean I want to bid.