Sign in to follow this  
Oddsteven

I'm interested in if this is worth repairing

I'm a guitar maker. A client gave me this old violin that he got at a flea market for $5.

It's obviously in bad shape, but the wood in the neck and back is very nice. I wonder if I should fix it, toss it or what.

4531.jpeg

4532.jpeg

4530.jpeg

4528.jpeg

4529.jpeg

4526.jpeg

4527.jpeg

4533.jpeg

Financially this is really not worth repairing, being a mass-produced violin from around 1900. The Best option is to go back to the flea market, and attempt to retrieve that $5

If you are bored, and the financial side doesn't matter to you, then there is no reason not to have a workshop project.

Awww...that note is so sweet!  

If you repair the violin (and good luck if you do!  And keep us posted with before and after shots!) , make sure you keep the note with it.  It has great sentimental/historical appeal.  If it's clean and dry, put it in a zip-lock baggie to keep it safe.

15 hours ago, Oddsteven said:

I'm a guitar maker. A client gave me this old violin that he got at a flea market for $5.

It's obviously in bad shape, but the wood in the neck and back is very nice. I wonder if I should fix it, toss it or what.

4533.jpeg

Historical note:  Jacob Stainer died in 1683.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Stainer  :)

I would keep it just for the neck, nice flame and antique patina.  What does the back look like ? 

7 minutes ago, nathan slobodkin said:

And what would you do with the neck?

You don't want to know.... 

This is kind of fascinating as an object in its own right. I can imagine all the pieces carefully mounted in a museum case with custom-made plexiglass supports for each fragment, like how a smashed ancient Greek treasure would be displayed.

4 hours ago, bungling_amateur said:

This is kind of fascinating as an object in its own right. I can imagine all the pieces carefully mounted in a museum case with custom-made plexiglass supports for each fragment, like how a smashed ancient Greek treasure would be displayed.

This one ain't exactly treasure!

It is not worth fixing, like REALLY NOT! 

Somebody got really angry... 

Who does this?? How does such a thing happen? I wish the biggest tragedies in the world would be this... With all that's going on.. Looks like the world has gone haywire like this violin

It will have been dropped on the floor. That sort of damage, where the neck block breaks out through the ribs is a typical result.