What sort of violins have this kind of tone?

Hey all, this is that violin I just posted about. There is just something about its tone that captivates me, I know it is not the most powerful, yet its sound is super clear, full, and pretty IMO. 

I had a deal with the seller, however, the shipping price he listed was 65$ yet he said the USPS was down so it would be 140$. I wasn't sure about this & I was busy for one day, and after I took a day to decide, he cancelled the transaction ( :/// ) and re-listed it for about 300$ more :| . 

ALL TO SAY, lol, does anyone know any sorts of violins that have a tone similar to this? This one was labeled Aegidius Kloz but it definitely is not authentic.

Thank you all very much, hope everyone is safe and healthy!

On 6/5/2020 at 2:45 PM, Cade said:

Hey all, this is that violin I just posted about. There is just something about its tone that captivates me, I know it is not the most powerful, yet its sound is super clear, full, and pretty IMO. 

I had a deal with the seller, however, the shipping price he listed was 65$ yet he said the USPS was down so it would be 140$. I wasn't sure about this & I was busy for one day, and after I took a day to decide, he cancelled the transaction ( :/// ) and re-listed it for about 300$ more :| . 

ALL TO SAY, lol, does anyone know any sorts of violins that have a tone similar to this? This one was labeled Aegidius Kloz but it definitely is not authentic.

Thank you all very much, hope everyone is safe and healthy!

It looks like your standard "dutzendarbeit" as Jacob would say. Sounds like crazy eyes got a little too greedy. Maybe he'll message you in couple months when he realizes that he can't sell it after reneging on your transaction. And if you loved this violin's sound so dearly, don't worry because there are literally millions like it.

On 6/5/2020 at 2:45 PM, Cade said:

ALL TO SAY, lol, does anyone know any sorts of violins that have a tone similar to this? 

51 minutes ago, JRyn said:

It looks like your standard "dutzendarbeit" as Jacob would say. Sounds like crazy eyes got a little too greedy. Maybe he'll message you in couple months when he realizes that he can't sell it after reneging on your transaction. And if you loved this violin's sound so dearly, don't worry because there are literally millions like it.

It looks to me also like a typical Saxon/Bohemian trade fiddle circa 1890-1920 (AKA: "Markie" or "the usual rubbish").  Any Markie worth buying should sound at least that good, some are a lot better.  As JRyn implied, there's no shortage of them.  :)

`Needless to say, the way a violin sounds (and this is a recording!) is also determinded by who's playing it and by the nature and quality of the bow.

So those are a lot of variables.

The way you can control those variables is to go down to a violin shop and try a bunch of fiddles and focus on the ones you like.

I have seen a few violins without value with a great sound. This one sounds great in the hands of this player, even though it is a factory made instrument.

I once heard a Hungarian band in a restaurant in Budapest. I then also played a few notes on that fiddlers violin and was disappointed, he had a very simple violin. His bow was even more awful, no strength in the stick. But he was completely adapted to this setup and played a super fast Czardas really well.

Maybe it's just me, but when I abstract from the playing (which is quite sophisticated) and concentrate on the tone of the violin I can't hear anything great. OTOH it's a recording with all reservations, and I'm really admiring how he is managing the dreadfully shaped bridge.

1 hour ago, Blank face said:

Maybe it's just me, but when I abstract from the playing (which is quite sophisticated) and concentrate on the tone of the violin I can't hear anything great. OTOH it's a recording with all reservations, and I'm really admiring how he is managing the dreadfully shaped bridge.

Same for me. I don't find the sound out and out unpleasant, but it's characterless and thin with very little nuance. Big difference in tonal quality as you travel between strings too ...

But if it's only a few hundred then it's a nice sounding violin for the price!

On 6/13/2020 at 6:28 AM, martin swan said:

Same for me. I don't find the sound out and out unpleasant, but it's characterless and thin with very little nuance. Big difference in tonal quality as you travel between strings too ...

But if it's only a few hundred then it's a nice sounding violin for the price!

It immediately strikes me as a very difficult instruments to play. That's why there are so many fluctuations in tone, intonation, and volume. These are some of the worst instruments to give to a beginner (or any player for that matter) because they are so inconsistent, and to get them properly set up and adjusted would cost you the same as several good sounding Chinese violins.