Maestronet Forums

Corner lengths?

Derek Callaway

Will Rogers once said that good judgement comes from experience, and experience is usually the result of bad judgement.  This may be a chance for me to pick up some experience.  

Here are photos as requested.  They include the template I took from makingtheviolin.com (the svg file was directly used to cut out the template with a laser cutter) sitting over both halves of the garland.   I did NOT start with a particular violin, e.g. Strad poster outline and work backward to get the garland shape.  I see some deviations in the corners there.  

Other photos include measurement from upper corner to lower corner across the c bout.   I hope this is the measurement that was requested.  

Finally, the outline of the garland, with an outline of the estimated plate using a washer to give a 2.6 mm spacing.  

Thanks to you all for your input.  

C1E38418-64A3-4CAA-8E0F-539A7DB98968.jpeg

F9E7B67D-4099-4EB8-A025-78B70FA736F1.jpeg

D3CE5256-F67C-4197-9323-B556B25F90D5.jpeg

E028B006-4D70-4258-B4EF-6FA5E869195B.jpeg

5D48F6D8-1E9C-42F7-9AB8-CC94EBD13F71.jpeg

A17E6403-0636-473B-9E37-B71E23EC950C.jpeg

0E36C123-B5F3-48EB-A3B0-43E9D0AC8468.jpeg

1 hour ago, Derek Callaway said:

Will Rogers once said that good judgement comes from experience, and experience is usually the result of bad judgement.  This may be a chance for me to pick up some experience.  

Here are photos as requested.  They include the template I took from makingtheviolin.com (the svg file was directly used to cut out the template with a laser cutter) sitting over both halves of the garland.   I did NOT start with a particular violin, e.g. Strad poster outline and work backward to get the garland shape.  I see some deviations in the corners there.  

Other photos include measurement from upper corner to lower corner across the c bout.   I hope this is the measurement that was requested.  

Finally, the outline of the garland, with an outline of the estimated plate using a washer to give a 2.6 mm spacing.  

A17E6403-0636-473B-9E37-B71E23EC950C.jpeg

0E36C123-B5F3-48EB-A3B0-43E9D0AC8468.jpeg

The corners on your template doesn't look so bad, if you look at the differences with the final result you get all your answers. In addition to a too long gluing joint at the tips, partially your mistakes may have been caused by too low a block height (but from the photos is hard to tell) which may have caused curves with too narrow a radius further worsening the situation.

The height of the corner blocks of the PG form (distance between the parallel lines that delimitate the heights of the blocks on the form) is 24 mm for lower blocks and 26 mm for upper blocks

12 hours ago, Derek Callaway said:

Hi Derek,

You really need to start some work to rectify things before proceeding.
As it stands, your corners are way too long, and encroach too far into the C bout, narrowing the space between them significantly. This will become a problem for bowing.

The shape of the corners doesn't look good. They are quite unbalanced to each other, and have awkward transitions from the rest of the outline. You will have great difficulty getting the purfling to end where it should.

I would start over with the ribs.
Some have suggested you could remove the upper and lower ribs and re-cut the block, but it looks to me that the C side of the blocks is not the right shape either.
When you are shaping blocks to the template, if you can still catch the block with a fingernail, or see the line, it's still too big. The length of the rib mitre should only be around the thickness of the rib itself, not a long exaggerated mitre.

Good luck, with whatever you decide to do.

On June 6, 2020 at 6:32 PM, barnesviolins said:

That's what leaving the pencil line can do......

Exactly. Leaving even a shaving of extra wood on the blocks can extend the corner by a mm. or two. You should always look carefully at the block and see in your mind where the ribs will actually end up. Shorter is always better as you can adjust the rib corner by leaving it a bit longer and can also adjust the look of the plates by leaving more or less over hang over the rib end. Too long cannot be corrected later very easily.