Sign in to follow this  
Rue

Calluses, hickeys and bumps, oh my!

I just noticed how sizable my "bow hand" calluses are! The one on the knuckle of my index finger, and its partner on my right thumb are huge! :o

Some of our orchestra violinists sport perennial, very visible hickeys. I've never had one of those; either because I don't practice enough :mellow: or because I don't use a shoulder rest? Anyone else notice this?

I did have a painful collarbone bump/bruise however, until I found just the right shoulder pad (pad, not rest).

My left hand finger tips now sport healthy guitar calluses, which are rather unattractive, but very useful for both guitar and violin.

Oh the things we subject ourselves to for our art! ^_^

Got any music-related physical deformities you'd like to share? Pictures always welcome, but not required!

Arthur Conan Doyle based Sherlock Holmes on a real person, a Doctor-I believe-who could identify tradesmen by their muscles and callouses and other physical features.

They are not deformities at all! They identify us as members of a select group.

We have the stigmata of music.

in 2009 I had a bike accident and lost my right collarbone. Since then I often notice how important a collarbone is for supporting the arm while bowing...very important.

Skin sensitivity is a big issue for the mark on the neck.  Another spot for heavy practicers is where the shoulder rest (or lack thereof) hits the collar bone.  Cellists can have a similar scar on their chest where the cello hits.

My left hand is larger than my right and the fingers can spread much farther.  I have thick calluses on my left fingertips that I cut off every few months because I prefer to feel the strings a bit.

11 hours ago, Rue said:

Some of our orchestra violinists sport perennial, very visible hickeys. I've never had one of those; either because I don't practice enough :mellow: or because I don't use a shoulder rest? Anyone else notice this?

I had a hickey until I stopped using a shouder rest :).

11 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

in 2009 I had a bike accident and lost my right collarbone. Since then I often notice how important a collarbone is for supporting the arm while bowing...very important.

I broke my left collar bone when I was 14,  also on a bike.  It now rather protudes and, as I discovered, makes a perfect ledge for supporting the end of my violin :)

My instrument is the guitar which I have played for over thirty years, I have started to try to learn the violin mainly as a hobby.  At first when I started to learn guitar I used to have blisters and shed skin on my left hand fingers but now I have pads on the end of my fingers you probably couldn’t push a needle through, they don’t stand out if you look at them though. Steve vai when he used to take a bath would hang his left hand out Over the edge so as not to soften his fingers, don’t know if he still does though.

6 hours ago, Muswell said:

I had a hickey until I stopped using a shouder rest :).

Aha!!! My theory has been proven! n=2! 

I am a violinist and violist and I don't have a hickey even though I use a shoulder rest and I do practice.  I have noticeable calluses on the finger tips of my left hand.  I think the hickey can be caused by a combination of many things such as: allergy to the metal in the chinrest clamp, allergy to the material of the chin rest or the endpin, excessive clamping of the instrument by the neck and jaw, rubbing of the instrument on the neck,  etc.  I know many violinists or violists who practice a lot and do not have hickeys.

I don't have any calluses on my violin fingers, I play very lightly. I had to quit playing mandolin because then I started to get them. I didn't like the loss of sensitivity in my violin fingers.

No hickey either (I do use a shoulder rest), I agree with Gowan that it probably has to do with skin sensitivity and a habit of clamping down with the jawbone on the fiddle. Might also have something to do with an ill-fitting/wrong model chinrest for the player's physiology.

On 5/22/2020 at 2:20 PM, Rue said:

Some of our orchestra violinists sport perennial, very visible hickeys.

"Lead us not into temptation........"  ;)  :lol:

On 5/23/2020 at 9:25 AM, gowan said:

I am a violinist and violist and I don't have a hickey even though I use a shoulder rest and I do practice.  ...

...and there goes my theory!  Back to the drawing board!

18 hours ago, Violadamore said:

"Lead us not into temptation........"  ;)  :lol:

...unless it's to practice more...er, and use a chinrest cover...