Dimitri Musafia

Professionals: are some of your musician clients going crazy too?

3 hours ago, Dimitri Musafia said:

Regarding screw head alignment, we do it as well so people won't complain about that too. However I believe that a screw should go in as far as it has to for optimum traction, not too much and not to little, and to heck with the slot alignment. The problem is it looks terrible!

Your screws are possibly too small for this but if you grip the threads in a drill you can spin the screw and file a tiny bit off the underside of the countersink.:)

3 hours ago, Dimitri Musafia said:

Regarding screw head alignment, we do it as well so people won't complain about that too. However I believe that a screw should go in as far as it has to for optimum traction, not too much and not to little, and to heck with the slot alignment. The problem is it looks terrible!

cartier_W2SA0009.jpg

Cartier should have used Torx or allen head screws instead. Misalignment is much less noticeable, but if the alignment must be perfect, you need to turn the screw 1/12th rotation at  most to get perfect alignment. :D

22 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Cartier should have used Torx or allen head screws instead. Misalignment is much less noticeable, but if the alignment must be perfect, you need to turn the screw 1/12th rotation at  most to get perfect alignment. :D

Especially considering that this wristwatch costs $15,000 -

4 hours ago, Herman West said:

if you stare at it all day it does drive you crazy, so the complainant has a point.

Well from my experience this kind of thing certainly does annoy some types of people, however as it is not a mass produced product the ability to control the tolerances can be more difficult. 

2 hours ago, David Burgess said:

David, did you know that Horacio Pagani has every one of the screws in his cars made to special order out of titanium, with a Torx head? The cost is rumored to be close to $100,000 per car (the screws, not the car). 

That's one way to solve the problem, just throw money at it!

4 hours ago, Dimitri Musafia said:

David, did you know that Horacio Pagani has every one of the screws in his cars made to special order out of titanium, with a Torx head? The cost is rumored to be close to $100,000 per car (the screws, not the car). 

That's one way to solve the problem, just throw money at it!

But think how much weight you could save on your cases! :D

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

Think how much weight you could save on your cases!

How much?  Would anyone notice?

...getting back to case design...if Dimitri made a line of cases that channeled Salvador Dali, or Picasso...that would eliminate the symmetry problem.

I volunteer to test drive one of those cases - since I came up with the idea...:)

BTW...it needs to stand up to our -50C winters :o, transport down bumpy gravel roads in a Jeep :wacko: and cat hairballs <_<...

5 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Nathan, did they get the fasteners on your head aligned pretty well? :ph34r:

They were concerned about the cosmetics at first but when my blood pressure started dropping they decided to get it closed any way they could.:wacko:

4 minutes ago, nathan slobodkin said:

They were concerned about the cosmetics at first but when my blood pressure started dropping they decided to get it closed any way they could.:wacko:

From now on, you'll need to shave your head to show off your badge-of-honor/Conona-virus-of-2020-pandemic momento. ;)

9 minutes ago, Rue said:

Nathan:  you are acquiring an awesome patina! ^_^

right! none of this fake distressing, that's genuine. I mean,Nathan your not slamming your head into door jams for looks, cause,"chicks dig scars", I hope,  I mean, it just looks so un-natural, so....contrived. I hope we don't catch you rubbing dirt into it just to make it look older :lol:

On 5/24/2020 at 2:57 AM, nathan slobodkin said:

I haven't had any crazy clients but yesterday the husband of one of the teachers who work for a competitor in the same building attacked me for asking him and his two teenage sons not to hang out by my doorway without masks. I had a client coming momentarily to pick up a cello who had demanded that both of us wear masks and not be in the same room together during the pick up.

14 centimeter split in my head showing my skull. 12 staples and 23 stitches to close it after four hours to stop the bleeding and transfusing two bags of plasma and one of blood.

How's that for crazy?

Are you OK? Please, file assault charges.  See a lawyer; you should be able to obtain full medical costs covered, plus legal fees, plus time away from work.  Also get a restraining order.

On 5/25/2020 at 5:24 PM, Rue said:

...getting back to case design...if Dimitri made a line of cases that channeled Salvador Dali, or Picasso...that would eliminate the symmetry problem.

Here I was channeling Federico Fellini after a good Amarone, does this count? :huh: 

1971513537a.jpg

That case is a riot!

Sorry that the pandemic has brought out the crazy in some folks.  I wish I had the slightest clue as to what is going on.  My wife and I are just holed up at home hoping for the best. I'm going to be ordering another viola case as soon as it is done and you can have all the time you need to make it :-)  Maybe I need something striped!

DLB

On 5/24/2020 at 4:57 AM, nathan slobodkin said:

I haven't had any crazy clients but yesterday the husband of one of the teachers who work for a competitor in the same building attacked me for asking him and his two teenage sons not to hang out by my doorway without masks. I had a client coming momentarily to pick up a cello who had demanded that both of us wear masks and not be in the same room together during the pick up.

14 centimeter split in my head showing my skull. 12 staples and 23 stitches to close it after four hours to stop the bleeding and transfusing two bags of plasma and one of blood.

How's that for crazy?

Really!? Good lord!

DLB

2 hours ago, Dimitri Musafia said:

Here I was channeling Federico Fellini after a good Amarone, does this count? :huh: 

1971513537a.jpg

That is drop-dead gorgeous :wub:...but leaning more towards Cassatt I think, if I had to choose another possible muse...

2 hours ago, Rue said:

That is drop-dead gorgeous :wub:...but leaning more towards Cassatt I think, if I had to choose another possible muse...

At least the hygrometer and thermometer are aligned, but I think I will throw this conception out the window and into the moat, as Modigliani would have approved.