Hi all. 

I'm new to this forum and I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong section. I need help to ID my recently acquired violin. It has a Jules Merciolle label, but strangely no year or anything. I even don't think it's French but I have no clue actually except it sounds really great. Here are some pics. 

Thanks in advance! 

FB_IMG_1588544084952.jpg

FB_IMG_1588544079250.jpg

FB_IMG_1588544089880.jpg

FB_IMG_1588544094709.jpg

FB_IMG_1588544099118.jpg

20200513_121040.jpg

On 5/23/2020 at 7:10 PM, bozha_g said:

Is that a bad thing,like is it a factory violin? 

No, not necessarily. It may not be worth a bunch of money, but I sure like these German instruments. Markneukirchen produced a ton of instruments of many different grades. There is nothing wrong with “factory” instruments, only when they try to pass off as something they are not. 

It's a nice instrument, love it for what it is, I wouldn't think of it as "factory" in the modern sense. Do some reading and research a bit. Dig that scroll. And the label says copie, which means not a whole lot in this case, except you get to say, "Then why do I have this outrageous accent?" 

15 hours ago, Michael H said:

No, not necessarily. It may not be worth a bunch of money, but I sure like these German instruments. Markneukirchen produced a ton of instruments of many different grades. There is nothing wrong with “factory” instruments, only when they try to pass off as something they are not. 

Thank you very much   , but if its not handcrafted then i payed maybe to much :)

9 hours ago, Fossil Ledges said:

It's a nice instrument, love it for what it is, I wouldn't think of it as "factory" in the modern sense. Do some reading and research a bit. Dig that scroll. And the label says copie, which means not a whole lot in this case, except you get to say, "Then why do I have this outrageous accent?" 

Actually it says a copy of an old intrument made by J.Merciolle , but i guess it's not even that . Ah well , atleast it sounds really great :)

It is handcrafted just by multiple hands. It has a lot going for it. Stick around this forum and you will gain an understanding of many things including construction and labels. Keep that violin for now, I have students who would love to be playing on it, if it sounds great.

1 hour ago, Fossil Ledges said:

It is handcrafted just by multiple hands. It has a lot going for it. Stick around this forum and you will gain an understanding of many things including construction and labels. Keep that violin for now, I have students who would love to be playing on it, if it sounds great.

Thanks for your advice and time. I am a professional violinist but quite blind for there assessments but planning on learning stuff :)

19 hours ago, mathieu valde said:

how much did you spent?

Actually, not much. I traded it for some other violin and at this moment I don't even care so much what it is because it sounds so good and I really played on high grade Italian violins like Strad, Montagnana, Presenda, Goffriler so compared to those diamonds, mine is not so bad :)

On 5/31/2020 at 4:20 AM, bozha_g said:

Actually, not much. I traded it for some other violin and at this moment I don't even care so much what it is because it sounds so good and I really played on high grade Italian violins like Strad, Montagnana, Presenda, Goffriler so compared to those diamonds, mine is not so bad :)

:D  may be they were also Saxon made diamonds.