Sign in to follow this  
stephanie4

Playing violin with a surgical mask

Hello,

because of the COVID-19 problems in my country it is necessary to wear a mask when a person is near another person.

So a violin lesson or chamber music requires a mask.

My question is: is it possible to play the violin with a surgical mask?

I've tried, but I found it hard, I can't breathe enough. For few minutes I can, but 1-2 hours (time necessary for a lesson or for chamber music) it is very difficult for me.

Is it only necessary to be get used to or is it really not recommended to play the violin with a mask?

Sorry for my bad english.

Thank you very much for your replies.

Best regards,

Stephanie

Of course you can, but that doesn't necessarily mean you should.  All of the chamber music instruments I'm aware of are plenty loud; simply move farther apart and lose the mask.  You're probably at greater risk from oxygen deprivation that from the Wuhan Virus, anyway.  Are you paying for this lesson?  Are you meeting in a public alley?  Is your instructor named "Karen"?

11 hours ago, stephanie4 said:

as long as it doesn't cover your ears, i don't see a problem

but seriously,

you can choose between can't breathe from a mask, and live

or can't breathe from the one niner and die. 

so they say

5 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

but seriously,

so they say

Or play a viola...

17 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

but seriously,

so they say

Or, you can refuse to participate in the irrational hysteria, employ REASON, and get on with LIVING.

14 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

Or, you can refuse to participate in the irrational hysteria, employ REASON, and get on with LIVING.

I dare you to define "reason" to everyones' satisfaction. ^_^

Hi rat, I assume you have not lost someone close to you to this disease.  Please shut up.

To the OP, it's a psychological thing, when I put on my mask at 8:00 am when I arrive at work, I feel that I cannot breathe. I relax and work though it. When I take my mask off at the end of my work day often 12 hours later, I have become so used to it, breathing feels weird without it.

Practice breathing, just as you practice playing. I promise you will get better at breathing through a mask.

On 5/16/2020 at 7:08 PM, Televet said:

Hi rat, I assume you have not lost someone close to you to this disease.  Please shut up.

I've lost plenty of people close to me various diseases. There's nothing special about this one that makes me willing to surrender rational analysis.  Just as state-run lotteries are taxes on those who are bad at math, these "lockdowns" are aimed to appease those who are bad at statistics.  I won't invite you to, "shut up,"  which is the knee-jerk retort of leftist fascists everywhere.  I'm more tempted to encourage you to abstain from voting.  But, from your location, I see that you come from a nation that has already surrendered.  Enjoy your national decline.

How many different shapes of mask have you tried? Some have valves that may help with air exchange. Some cover more or less of the jaw bone if your grasp on the chinrest is the issue. Some dermatologists in my area have reported that you should avoid wearing masks when you are far enough away from others because of the humid environment between the mask and skin.

That said, I would not choose to go maskless in an enclosed room with a student - unless there is a lot of air exchange ie open window or exhaust fan to the outside. I would be concerned about suspended virus circulating in a small room beyond the normal recommended safe distance.

On 5/15/2020 at 10:51 PM, stephanie4 said:

Hello,

because of the COVID-19 problems in my country it is necessary to wear a mask when a person is near another person.

So a violin lesson or chamber music requires a mask.

I've tried, but I found it hard, I can't breathe enough. For few minutes I can, but 1-2 hours (time necessary for a lesson or for chamber music) it is very difficult for me.

Is it only necessary to be get used to or is it really not recommended to play the violin with a mask?

Sorry for my bad english.

Thank you very much for your replies.

Best regards,

Stephanie

Last time I did this in the university orchestra it makes holding the violin with my head uncomfortable as the mask moves around all the time; it's so annoying!

However, I'd rather play horribly and uncomfortably than to expose myself to corona.

So, the Gainesville Orchestra had a concert this past weekend.

Outdoors (hot and humid this time of year in the swamp), masked, with some plastic barriers between the brass and the winds.

Infections are climbing pretty rapidly in the county, so if none of us in the orchestra come down with CoVID I'll be pleased and optimistic about the idea of outdoor concerts moving forward.

I had no trouble breathing (although as the temperature climbed it was uncomfortable and sweaty), but I found a bit of difficulty reading the music.  I can't explain it since the mask doesn't obscure my vision... very weird.

I think the type of mask may be important. One of the cotton ones that's roomy is a good idea. Surgical masks are barely any more effective than cotton anyways, for covid. Mainly you are avoiding spit spray from a sneeze or cough. Stay far apart, that is the most effective tactic. 

On 5/15/2020 at 5:51 PM, stephanie4 said:

I'm still playing mine with a bow, but if I'm out in public, I'm wearing a mask while I'm doing it.  :ph34r:  ^_^

On 5/16/2020 at 7:10 AM, Stephen Fine said:

Doctors perform surgeries in surgical masks, so, yeah, you can play violin in one.

But they arent having to control their breathing in intervals or put extreme passion in a piece

3 hours ago, Seriously_Symphony said:

But they arent having to control their breathing in intervals or put extreme passion in a piece

You'll live... and the person next to you will too. Wear a mask.

On 5/16/2020 at 12:10 PM, Stephen Fine said:

Doctors perform surgeries in surgical masks, so, yeah, you can play violin in one.

24 minutes ago, Seriously_Symphony said:

just turn down the passion and pretend it's only someone's life in your hands

On 5/17/2020 at 2:42 AM, Desert Rat said:

I've lost plenty of people close to me various diseases. There's nothing special about this one that makes me willing to surrender rational analysis.  Just as state-run lotteries are taxes on those who are bad at math, these "lockdowns" are aimed to appease those who are bad at statistics.

I wonder how Mr. Rat's in Tucson is doing.  Back on May 17, Tucson was reporting 217 new cases and only 1 death.  But now,  10x, 15x, 20x more cases and hundreds of deaths in the past week.  Bad statistics.

19 hours ago, Seriously_Symphony said:

Yes, you're right.  Doctors neither have to control their breathing nor control their passion.  Wait, no, on second thought...

19 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

just turn down the passion and pretend it's only someone's life in your hands

!

Desert Rat:

I'm 75 years old. I have cardio weakness due to a heart attack years ago, and I have asthma. I'd appreciate it very much if you would wear a mask when you're in public.

My community orchestra is thinking about starting up rehearsals in Sept. but everyone wears a mask (except for the brass LOL) and sits 6 ft apart. I am thinking I'll do it, at least give it a try. I always wear a mask in public even though I am tested weekly for work and always turn up negative. It's a matter of respect for others, who don't know that I have been tested.