Sign in to follow this  
Brad Dorsey

Need Treatment for Moldy Smelling Violin

12 hours ago, Michael Darnton said:

Baking soda worked great in my musty basement. If the violin isn't incredibly valuable, I don't see any down side in just pouring a box full inside and shaking it a couple of times a day for a week or two, then pouring it out, and maybe blowing out the residue inside with a vacuum or air compressor (NO SUCTIION--I know stories!)

Do tell, sir. do tell.

On 5/15/2020 at 2:15 PM, Marty Kasprzyk said:

If it was a viola you could soak it in tomato juice.

Check the label first. Many violas are dishwasher safe.

17 hours ago, l33tplaya said:

If it doesn't say bush hog ozone, it jus won't cut it.  I had to bing bush hog.  That must be a Canadien prarie thing. ...

I dunno...the company is from Alabama...

On 5/16/2020 at 3:23 PM, Rue said:

Isn't using an ozone generator first kinda like using a Bush Hog to trim the grass around the patio? 

Ummm........and what's wrong with that?  I mean, the lawn's on the way back to the barn from the field, why waste diesel? :huh:  Here's an example of a similar rig to mine.

I see I'll have to come up with a better example...^_^

Follow-up:  I decided to try the home-made ozone generator method that glebert suggested, using a motor out of a sewing machine that was headed to the dump.  I ran the motor overnight in a big plastic bag with the violin and a case.  I smelled the violin before putting it in the bag and couldn't smell anything.  When I took the violin out of the bag in the morning it smelled like ozone, but that smell dissipated after a few days.  When the customer returned to give the violin the smell test, she said it smelled moldy just as it had before the ozone treatment.  So, no sale, but she took some other violins to try out after smelling them.

Wait, wait, I still want to know about violas in the dishwasher, what detergent do you use? It seems so much safer than dissolving them in acid!

Will she taste test the finalist?  Joking aside, I have almost zero sense of smell from chronic solvent exposure.  I've been without smell for so long that when something makes it through I don't even have a frame of reference for what I'm smelling.  However, my mother and son are like bloodhounds.  Stuff that most people barely notice can be overpowering for them.  As silly as the smelling violins sounds, I get it.  Good luck on the sale.

12 hours ago, Brad Dorsey said:

When the customer returned to give the violin the smell test, she said it smelled moldy just as it had before the ozone treatment.  So, no sale, but she took some other violins to try out after smelling them.

You should have fed her some Limburger cheese before she sniffed the violin. It wouldn't have smelled bad at all. :)

13 hours ago, Brad Dorsey said:

Follow-up:  I decided to try the home-made ozone generator method that glebert suggested, using a motor out of a sewing machine that was headed to the dump.  I ran the motor overnight in a big plastic bag with the violin and a case.  I smelled the violin before putting it in the bag and couldn't smell anything.  When I took the violin out of the bag in the morning it smelled like ozone, but that smell dissipated after a few days.  When the customer returned to give the violin the smell test, she said it smelled moldy just as it had before the ozone treatment.  So, no sale, but she took some other violins to try out after smelling them.

Did you try any of the other suggestions?

In these times of civil protest it's now time for all viola players to hit the streets and demand no more viola jokes!

After all there are so many banjoes and accordions out there....

8 minutes ago, violguy said:

In these times of civil protest it's now time for all viola players to hit the streets and demand no more viola jokes!

All instruments matter

8 minutes ago, violguy said:

Combining the three, played in a protest parade, should be able to bend anyone to their will. Much more frightening than burning and looting. ;)

2 hours ago, violguy said:

When it comes down to sounds of protest,where are those shawms,rauschpfeiffes and sackbutts?

The older I get, the more I appreciate sack-butts, since that's about all I can get to follow me out of a bar anymore. :lol:

6 hours ago, violguy said:

Some cities have piles of violas instead of bricks and bottles for the protesters.

7 hours ago, Rue said:

Did you try any of the other suggestions?

No.  Many of them are liquid, and pouring liquids inside the violin strikes me as a bad idea.  But I think I will try baking soda and suggest that she do another sniff test when she comes back.

...how about the newspaper and sunlight  option? Maybe with the essential oil (that does not physically touch said violin...)?

How do I get sunlight inside a violin?  I know that someone suggested an UV wand, but I don't have one.  I'm assuming that the problem is inside, because I gave the outside a good cleaning and polishing.  Even the inside is pretty clean.  It's not a moldy old violin; it's a clean mid-20th century one.  I had the top off and I regraduated it, so most of the interior surfaces are newly exposed wood.

Maybe the violin picked up an odor from the case I had it stored in for years.  Neither my wife nor I could smell anything.  The customer who doesn't like the smell admits that she has an over-sensitive nose.  I think that's the real problem.

Well...if it's the client's imagination...nothing will fix that...^_^

But I'm still curious about removing odour...

I don't think she's imagining it; I think she has an over-sensitive sense of smell.  I am also curious about removing odor, so I see this experience as an interesting experiment.