Maestronet Forums

Upcoming Instrument Auctions in the UK (May-December 2020)

Shelbow

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Wood Butcher said:

I looked in at this earlier, seemed to be high prices for some. M.G Bouette is highly rated?

Agreed, the prices went a bit crazy. There was a sale specifically for stuff from Martin Bouettes workshop a few months ago and I think this was the left overs.

I was looking at a few things but the prices just went to high.

I never met him myself unfortunately, but from what I hear he was quite respected and had quite a number of students so there was probably a lot of interest in his work.

I have looked at one of his violins in person and I have to say it was very nice, it also sounded nice when played (not by me).

In general alot of auction prices just seem to be going a bit mad at the moment.

8 hours ago, Shelbow said:

Agreed, the prices went a bit crazy. There was a sale specifically for stuff from Martin Bouettes workshop a few months ago and I think this was the left overs.

I never met him myself unfortunately, but from what I hear he was quite respected and had quite a number of students so there was probably a lot of interest in his work.

I have looked at one of his violins in person and I have to say it was very nice, it also sounded nice when played (not by me).

In general alot of auction prices just seem to be going a bit mad at the moment.

Yes, Covid may have skewed things.
But then again, perhaps there are not so many opportunities to buy aged wood, and it could command a premium?

One thing that did make me laugh, were some of the unmatched maple lots of half backs. If you looked through a few of these, you could see the other halves were in some of the other unmatched lots :lol:

Yes quite possible, I'm not really deep enough into the wood trade or making to know. When I was studying instrument making there was a wood dealer on our course, he had obtained quite a lot of rare woods from a cabinet maker who had passed away. I think this cabinet maker had been hoarding for a long time and the wood collection was started by his family in the Victorian times. Anyhow this guy had people from around the world coming to look at some of this stuff. Sadly he died in the summer of the first year so never really got to delve into the situation.

Oh dear ha ha, I hadn't looked closely enough to spot that. How unfortunate.

10 hours ago, Shelbow said:

£20 for 40 cello tailpieces feels like a bargain to me (don't ask), but Amati's stated commission and shipping costs will increase that by a factor. In the past Amati have usually held a collection day in London but that didn't happen for their last auction and I gather the border guards with Wales have been instructed to shoot on sight. But the Amati people are always very helpful so hopefully we'll find a parsimonious solution

Shipping via drone is the way forward.

I didn't really pay attention to the cello tailpieces, but I guess it depends what type they were. There seems to be a move towards lighter tailpieces for cello in some circles so perhaps these were the heavy old type and therefore not desirable.

Pah - it's not the Welsh Police I'm worried about, I have just been nobbled for speeding by the Gloucestershire Constabulary. You would have thought they had better things to do on an empty road on a Sunday morning.

@matesic we will be doing a collection day in London. Most likely (almost certainly) after the December sale - which should go live today. That way I can combine collection for the two auctions in one go.

By the way, thank you to everybody who bid, or even who took the time to go through the stuff. Genuinely grateful.

From a Maestronet hive-mind perspective, we will have c. 330 lots in the December auction, and we are going to have to split it over two days. Should I do two 'book-matched' auctions i.e. each day leads with cellos, then violins etc., or should I just do the first day all violins and cellos, the second violas, bows... other stuff?

Any views gratefully accepted.

For what it's worth I would just split it then (book matched). That way both days will get equal attention. This is probably good for the buyers and sellers.

But this is just my opinion.

I observe more than buy so hopefully some others will comment.