Sign in to follow this  
Shunyata

Carving the Pegbox

34 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Uh oh. Is that a chamfer on the inside of your pegbox? :)

Valid point!

From now on I won't, wasn't aware about this small detail

3 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Not on Stradivari, Guarneri or Amati, I don't think. Unless someone can think of some exceptions.

How about on other fiddles? Any Brescian? Fussen?

Del Gesu seems to have chamfered and blackened the inside edges of the pegbox on the Chardon at least.  As for the under the chin edge in question, it looks like he just hit it with a gouge a few times and called it a day. 
1040815072_ScreenShot2020-05-13at6_17_41PM.thumb.png.34ecae80fff80707c95798c35d6d2421.png

Looks like there might be a chamfer down at the bottom and possibly a bit of blackened chamfer on the pegbox interior walls down by the A, but a bit hard to tell.  And who knows what's original.   Must be some other pictures around that are better.

Plowden pegbox.jpg

Here's a Strad.  It kinda looks like there might be a small chamfer on the inside edge, and the sharp edge shows what can happen over 300 years.1351174571_ex-Jacksonpegbox.jpg.f78e9e644b81dd03d40ae4e106a04a10.jpg

And looking down the throat of a delGesu, also showing the beating on the sharp edge.  The side edges look at least rounded; hard to imagine how it would wear like that way down there at the end of the box.

So, if one wanted to make an antiqued bench copy, you'd need to beat up that sharp edge.

1852014818_delGesupegbox.jpg.42bec4dfa130c932af858974183e47fb.jpg

Thanks, guys.

I'm trying to avoid potential copyright issues with some photos I have, so I'll mostly post links to photos on public sites.

Another well-preserved Stradivari, the Betts. If you click on the thumbnail with the six scroll views and expand it, there's some good detail of the top of the inner pegbox.

https://tarisio.com/cozio-archive/property/?ID=40118

A Nicolo Amati. Check out the portion up by the A peg where it's not so worn and repaired:

https://www.loc.gov/resource/ihas.200154831.12

The Lady Blunt Stradivari (this site requires that you register to see the most detailed photos):

https://tarisio.com/cozio-archive/cozio-carteggio/the-lady-blunt-stradivarius-violin-cremona-1721/

I'm having difficulty coming up with Guarneri Del Gesu photos giving a consistent :lol:idea of what he was up to. Perhaps it depends on who made the scroll.

From my observations, it seems to me that Stradivari always left a sharp edge at the end of the pegbox and that it softened just a bit the inside edges of pegbox walls, without making a real bevel.

Here two outstanding example: Cello Mediceo and Viola Tenore Medicea 1690

191561959_CelloMediceo1690dettcassettarid.thumb.jpg.b2ec214de1751370022ba157bba13720.jpg

1217313343_ViolaTenoreMedicea1690dettcassettarid.thumb.jpg.32ffa9c2128587fa300c6e3642055a15.jpg

Instead, I associate the bevel on the inside of pegbox walls with Guarneri del Gesù only.

Always ready to be proven wrong...:)

5 hours ago, Davide Sora said:

From my observations, it seems to me that Stradivari always left a sharp edge at the end of the pegbox and that it softened just a bit the inside edges of pegbox walls, without making a real bevel.

Here two outstanding example: Cello Mediceo and Viola Tenore Medicea 1690

Instead, I associate the bevel on the inside of pegbox walls with Guarneri del Gesù only.

Always ready to be proven wrong...:)

I agree with Davide and David - I looked at the photos taken under UV light of the Strad Messiah and Tuscan tenor  in the B&G monograph -- varnish can be seen right up to the edge of the pegbox wall (sharp at the top and slightly softened on the side walls). Looking at photos can be deceiving as one can easily miss-interpret the flair of the side walls of the pegbox wall as a chamfer in a low res image. here are my own photos of the Messiah

_DSF4025.JPG

_DSF4022.JPG

18 hours ago, DoorMouse said:

It looks like there may be traces of chamfering on the Cannone as well.. hard to tell. 

Del Gesù did chamfer the inside of the pegbox and would blacken it as well. Stradivari is as Davide described, outside with chamfer and inside sharp at the end of the pegbox opening and the inner side of the walls only slightly softened but not a real chamfer.

3 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Thanks Bruce. How about his father and grandfather?

Well, his father was cutting a number of the scrolls for violin bodies made by 'del Gesù'.

+

9 hours ago, Urban Luthier said:

I agree with Davide and David - I looked at the photos taken under UV light of the Strad Messiah and Tuscan tenor  in the B&G monograph -- varnish can be seen right up to the edge of the pegbox wall (sharp at the top and slightly softened on the side walls). Looking at photos can be deceiving as one can easily miss-interpret the flair of the side walls of the pegbox wall as a chamfer in a low res image. here are my own photos of the Messiah

_DSF4025.JPG

_DSF4022.JPG

That's where Tarisio got it stuck in the dresser drawer!