Maestronet Forums

Repairing a Broken Tortoise Shell Tongue

PASEWICZ

Absolutley monumentaly impressive Jerry!  I cannot imagine taking a damaged tortoise shell frog to anyone else!  One of these days I will be lucky enough to have one.  The photography was extremely well done too.  Who was the maker of the bow? (certainly understand if you cannot say)

Thanks!

DLB

20 minutes ago, Dwight Brown said:

Absolutley monumentaly impressive Jerry!  I cannot imagine taking a damaged tortoise shell frog to anyone else!  One of these days I will be lucky enough to have one.  The photography was extremely well done too.  Who was the maker of the bow? (certainly understand if you cannot say)

Thanks!

DLB

Thank you Dwight.  I really like the idea of glass fibers reinforcing the tortoise....The article, the photos, and the work were all done by Sebastian Schwelm..he does nice work, and as you can imagine his spotless bench is a thing to behold...

I love the look of tortoise shell.  I understand why it is protected now.  It is really good that there are folks that can keep these lovely bows going for years to come.  The use of optical epoxy is really facinating.  I have been interested in optics and photography for most of my life.  In camera terms this is up to Leica standards!  The idea of the glass fibers disappearing in the epoxy is brilliant.  I have done some work in rocketry with glass cloth and West System epoxy I always felt like I had to stay calm when using it as you always feel on the ragged edge of disaster .  Gloves and a full bottle of alcohol for spills were my friends indeed.

Thanks,

DLB

1 hour ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

Thank you Dwight.  I really like the idea of glass fibers reinforcing the tortoise....The article, the photos, and the work were all done by Sebastian Schwelm..he does nice work, and as you can imagine his spotless bench is a thing to behold...

The project and the presentation are both flipping brilliant.  Thank you much for posting this.  :)

4 minutes ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

They are working on the link....a few minutes.

Jerry, is it a video, or is it a print article? I’m actually kind of unclear on which it is because I had the option to turn the volume up or down

Edited by PhilipKT

2 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

I can’t access it. I click on it and I get the option to turn the volume on or off, but I can only see one page. What am I doing wrong?

It's like a photo slideshow, not a PDF.  You use the side "< >" tabs to page through it.

Thank you very much for both articles Jerry. First one helped me a lot years ago when I was restoring tortoise parts on Fabricatore 1796 Neapolitan mandolin. 

Any idea, suggestion, what what can be used as a substitute, since 301-2 seems to be unavailable (at least it wasn't 2 or 3 years ago when I tried to obtain it - if i am mistaken I would really like to know where to get it). Epoxy that I used worked eventually, but curing took ages (at only one mm of thickness curing of epoxy is quite a problem).

Starting to work on a similar project, (TS involved), any info is much appreciated. 

Regards.

Marijan

4 hours ago, Marijan Radaljac said:

Thank you very much for both articles Jerry. First one helped me a lot years ago when I was restoring tortoise parts on Fabricatore 1796 Neapolitan mandolin. 

Any idea, suggestion, what what can be used as a substitute, since 301-2 seems to be unavailable (at least it wasn't 2 or 3 years ago when I tried to obtain it - if i am mistaken I would really like to know where to get it). Epoxy that I used worked eventually, but curing took ages (at only one mm of thickness curing of epoxy is quite a problem).

Starting to work on a similar project, (TS involved), any info is much appreciated. 

Regards.

Marijan

Marijan,  It is nice to hear you are finding the articles useful.  Epoxy technology still makes the 301-2, and as a matter of fact they now sell it in 4 gm? portioned envelopes that are really handy.  We have been researching different epoxies including uv curing types but nothing has been as good as the 301-2.

Jerry