Sign in to follow this  
arglebargle

Charles Ehricke violin inscription

I just took the top off a Charles Ehricke violin (Albany, 1934 #50) to start on a button repair and found an interesting inscription on the top and back.

1447354469_Ehrickeback.thumb.jpeg.859c062a90ed0711a98488823fb1fc67.jpeg

Ehricke_top.thumb.jpeg.ff46ef554b4b7f5c0dd1516fb0009059.jpeg

Goes to show that messing with other peoples violins was a common enough practice way back then to merit a warning.

Alright Mr. Ehricke. I won't scrape your violin, but I will fix your broken button.

28 minutes ago, arglebargle said:

I just took the top off a Charles Ehricke violin (Albany, 1934 #50) to start on a button repair and found an interesting inscription on the top and back.

1447354469_Ehrickeback.thumb.jpeg.859c062a90ed0711a98488823fb1fc67.jpeg

Ehricke_top.thumb.jpeg.ff46ef554b4b7f5c0dd1516fb0009059.jpeg

Goes to show that messing with other peoples violins was a common enough practice way back then to merit a warning.

Alright Mr. Ehricke. I won't scrape your violin, but I will fix your broken button.

This made me laugh, but just to clarify, is he telling you guys not to re-graduate? Or is he warning against some thing else?

I was working on an old Klingenthal fiddle that had written on the top, almost in the same place as this one, "Do not take any more wood out here". Adjacent to it, faintly, in pencil, I could make out the remnants of, "Don't take"!

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

This made me laugh, but just to clarify, is he telling you guys not to re-graduate? Or is he warning against some thing else?

Yes, he's asking us not to re-graduate.