Sign in to follow this  
Cade

Fineoldviolins Ebay

Hey all, 

Is Fineoldviolins on ebay a scamming page? 

It seems to me like they  re-label. 

https://www.ebay.com/usr/fineoldviolins?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Came across a couple intriguing violins by them however, but for being so "antique" the items seem much too polished up. Past this, while some of their labels seem to match up with the design of the labelled makers, quite a few of them don't. 

Their descriptions are very obviously copy and pasted and are also riddled with spelling errors, however I excused this thinking it may be a language barrier. 

The only thing is, they have a 99.6% positive feedback rate. I don't get how a page this fake seeming can receive such good reviews. ://

Anyways, thank you all, stay healthy and safe!

On 5/7/2020 at 6:55 AM, Cade said:

The only thing is, they have a 99.6% positive feedback rate. I don't get how a page this fake seeming can receive such good reviews. ://

What makes you think any of those reviews are from genuine buyers?
EBay makes it easy for dodgy sellers to essentially write their own feedback.

I never know what to believe anymore, but to be fair, not EVERY seller on eBay is a faker or otherwise dishonest either.  

If all these violins are new Chinese ones...he must have an enormous stockpile of old cases.

If you french polish a violin, it will look shiny and new.  I know...I've seen a few upper end violins, including a Strad, that didn't show much age.  And of course, the photos don't tell the entire story.  Things never look as good in real life.

Feedback, even if it's all legit, is another bag of worms.  If I buy on Amazon (and I've had to do more of that lately) I always check the feedback.  Regarding negative feedback (rather than positive) - some of the comments are absolutely ludicrous.

"Item is great!  I only gave it a 1-star rating because it arrived a day late." [Er...shouldn't you blame the courier then?]

"Item is great.  I only gave it a 1-star rating because it didn't fit me.  I wear an XL and this was a M.  It was too small."

"Item is great.  I only gave it a 1-star rating because it didn't fit me.  It is advertised as 'one size fits all'.  That's false advertising!  I weigh 600 lbs and was looking forward to buying an item that would fit, and it didn't.  Avoid this product at all costs!"

"Item is great.  I gave it the highest rating I could!  1-star all the way!"

...I could (and still might) go on.

Also - I would guess that most of the people who leave positive feedback on these violins don't have a clue about violins in general, so they're happy with one that looks good and functions.

The VAT number is fake.

I think you can disregard the majority of the feedback. People who are genuinely pleased with their violins leave quite detailed and lengthy feedback - the monosyllabic comments on this seller's feedback are more what someone offers if it's the only way to get their money back.

Read back a few years and there's a clear pattern and many negative reviews. 

It goes without saying, and has been repeated many times here. If you really are looking for a fine old violin, eBay is not the kind of place you should be looking.

2 hours ago, Dave Slight said:

It goes without saying, and has been repeated many times here. If you really are looking for a fine old violin, eBay is not the kind of place you should be looking.

Some of our experts are selling some staff on ebay. I do think they are quite trustable sellers.

5 minutes ago, Fossil Ledges said:

EBay is like people watching at Wal-mart, you never know in God's vast creation what you are going to see.

Sometimes something decent does come along though

It also depends on what you are hoping to find. If you are looking for something worth like 150k for 500 then good luck, but I still think you can get stuff worth about 5k for 500 ish if you keep looking non stop every day.

In the very early days of Ebay I bought a few things for what I considered fair prices and of decent quality. I still have one of them. But the quality quickly went down and the Hype quotient way up, so that these days, it's about the last place I look, either to buy or to find comparable values. 

On 5/8/2020 at 12:20 PM, martin swan said:

The VAT number is fake.

I think you can disregard the majority of the feedback. People who are genuinely pleased with their violins leave quite detailed and lengthy feedback - the monosyllabic comments on this seller's feedback are more what someone offers if it's the only way to get their money back.

Read back a few years and there's a clear pattern and many negative reviews. 

Thanks so much!

This helped a lot 

On 5/9/2020 at 10:20 AM, Fossil Ledges said:

EBay is like people watching at Wal-mart, you never know in God's vast creation what you are going to see.

hahahahahaha

On 5/9/2020 at 10:45 AM, Fossil Ledges said:

Yes, I got lucky one time about twelve years ago doing exactly that.

What did you find ? If you don't mind me asking.

On 5/9/2020 at 12:33 PM, Dave Slight said:

Yes fine violin.. But if you don't have the big bucks,.. I revamped old violins, and got really nice looking and pretty decent violins.. 

On 5/9/2020 at 8:21 PM, Shelbow said:

I wish that I had the means to travel around Europe looking for things, I think that would be my ideal life :-)

Uuhh no.. 

I rather have the treasures fall in my lap. 

Ideal life? There are finer things in life... 

Ah well! It is good to dream once in a while... 

23 hours ago, Cade said:

What did you find ? If you don't mind me asking.

It was a third or fourth generation Johann Adam Martin violin.

12 hours ago, Rachell66 said:

Yes fine violin.. But if you don't have the big bucks,.. I revamped old violins, and got really nice looking and pretty decent violins.. 

Even if you don't have a lot to spend, there are other alternatives to eBay.

Buying a violin from someone's loft always carries risks with it, but I understand that some people like to convince themselves that whatever they have bought is somehow a bargain, or sounds lovely.

I guess you can't enjoy the excitement of staying up late to click a mouse, or have the anticipation of the box contents being worse than expected, if you go to a shop.

I know nothing of them as a seller, but have sold dozens of items to them in the past- probably for best part of a decade. Appreciate that doesn’t vouch for them as a seller though! 

46 minutes ago, andrew190783 said:

I know nothing of them as a seller, but have sold dozens of items to them in the past- probably for best part of a decade. Appreciate that doesn’t vouch for them as a seller though! 

As in instruments / parts or unrelated things?