Sign in to follow this  
John Hill

VIOLIN MAKERS BOOKS FOR SALE !!

Hello, this is John Hill, a maker from Southern Oregon.  I have these books for sale.  Most in excellent condition unless noted otherwise.  These are priced below what I could find as comps.  Price plus shipping.  Im open to fair offers if you feel my price is too high.  If you order multiple books i will pay for shipping if over $500 - USA only.  Thanks!  541-621-7091

• Pollens Stradivarius Violin Forms:  $850 ...?? Open to offers.. couldn't find any comps!  
  • Antonio Stradivari:  The Cremona Exhibition of 1987:  $350
  • How Many Strads:  $65
  • Italian Violin Making Carl Jalovec:  excellent $75
  • Universal Dictionary of Violin and Bow Makers:  $350 excellent
  • Classic Lines of Violin Making by Carlo Vettori: $200 good
  • Italienische Violinen .... by John Huber $85 exc

66887ACE-11F7-45F1-A037-B342BF380D8E.jpeg

Edited by John Hill
541-621-7091

3 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

$550 for the Art of Violin making? That book goes for like ~$100 on eBay. 

If you would have read my post, you would notice a ? by the price, which means I did not have anything to go by and I was guessing based on its rarity these days.  At least I couldn’t find it.  I couldn’t find any comps on eBay or Amazon either.   It’s hard to find and unavailable.  I’ll adjust the price to $350.  It is in like new condition.  

Edited by John Hill

Too funny. It's true. A search revealed an incredibly high price on Amazon on this book >> Out of Print.

Covid-19 pricing. At $350 it is a bargain.

wow first they went for “like a hundred bucks on ebay” and now you got yours for $40..?  Yeah i guess you were very lucky or...something.  I paid $275 for my new copy in 2001.  The one i am selling is another copy i happen to have and like most of the other books i am selling,  its in pristine condition.  And again, if they are readily available at a certain price please show me proof of that and ill be happy to adjust my price.  Considering the current rarity, inflation and the excellent condition of this book I think the adjusted price of $350 is quite fair. 

Edited by John Hill

7 hours ago, John Hill said:

wow first they went for “like a hundred bucks on ebay” and now you got yours for $40..?  Yeah i guess you were very lucky or...something.  I paid $275 for my new copy in 2001.  The one i am selling is another copy i happen to have and like most of the other books i am selling,  its in pristine condition.  And again, if they are readily available at a certain price please show me proof of that and ill be happy to adjust my price.  Considering the current rarity, inflation and the excellent condition of this book I think the adjusted price of $350 is quite fair. 

Abebooks.com is my go to for hard to find books.  The only copies they have are soft backed Chinese additions for just under a hundred bucks.  The only competition for this book, IMO, is brian Derber's book that cost $375.  So I think the price is quite fair, even if I did pay about $100 new back in history.  I'd love to have the Traite de Lutherie book and keep my eye out for it.  There's a copy in the UK for $500 which is a lot more than I can afford to spend, but that price is probably fair as well unless Francois Denis is selling it for less from his website.  My 2 cents.

I just found the Francois Denis on his site and he is selling the book for what is equivalent to $250 USA dollars.  Shipping to USA along with customs tax is probably around $50?  I will sell my copy complete with posters and ruler for $200 including shipping to continental USA excluding Alaska.  Excellent condition.  That should save you about $100.  Happy to send pics to whoever is interested.  

Edited by John Hill

I am not willing to sell my copy of Courtnall yet, but it was about $60 when picked up, new, maybe 5 years ago. My first copy, I gave to a student, which was about bit more for about $70. At the time I gave it away, I did not think it was that important anymore, but people still refer to it now.  

The Sacconi in English is puzzling to me. I missed my chance to pick up an old Italian edition for $150 ( obviously it went fast ) locally but am confused as to what appears to be a newer English version. Was there are a recent reprint?  Is the original English edition being listed here?

My translated to English Sacconi book was published in 2000.  Regarding the Courtnal..  im almost certain I paid $275 about 20 years ago but it was 20 years ago.  When currently Chinese soft covers are selling for $100, to me $350 for a pristine hardcover doesn't seem like a bad investment but with all this hub bub over the price Ill lower it yet again to $275.  This copy i am selling is a hardcover in excellent condition.  Whether or not it is important I suppose depends on the importance it is to the builder.  Personally i referred to it with every violin, viola or cello i made.  Unless your blessed with a photographic memory or if your constantly making which i wasnt because i ran a full service shop as well, it is essential to have a builders reference though perhaps there are better ones to be found out there, im not sure. Pretty important to me regardless.   Thanks!  

Edited by John Hill

1 hour ago, GoPractice said:

I am not willing to sell my copy of Courtnall yet, but it was about $60 when picked up, new, maybe 5 years ago. My first copy, I gave to a student, which was about bit more for about $70. At the time I gave it away, I did not think it was that important anymore, but people still refer to it now.  

The Sacconi in English is puzzling to me. I missed my chance to pick up an old Italian edition for $150 ( obviously it went fast ) locally but am confused as to what appears to be a newer English version. Was there are a recent reprint?  Is the original English edition being listed here?

The English version seems to still be in print for €150 at Cremona Tools. https://www.cremonatools.com/the-secrets-of-stradivari-s-f-sacconi.html

2 hours ago, scordatura said:

Nick I have a copy of that one. It is very much like the early English translation that came out many years ago.

Good to know that it is till pretty much the same thing. I wish that these publishers would keep these treasured books in print. But I understand, with such a small customer pool an all. 

No its still available.  Ive decided to take the Biddulph set off of here as it seems most here are looking for less expensive books, which is understandable especially during a pandemic.  I had it priced at what i thought would have been attractive price but it didn't generate any interest so I put it on eBay for a higher price/obo.   At the moment, Im in no rush to sell it.  

Glad your happy with your purchase!  Thx!