Sign in to follow this  
wooden

Pegs in pairs

Hello. Is the feature of placing the pegs in pairs a guide for identifying any school? I heard that it was typical of Neapolitan school but I don't know if it can be found elsewhere. Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, wooden said:

Hello. Is the feature of placing the pegs in pairs a guide for identifying any school? I heard that it was typical of Neapolitan school but I don't know if it can be found elsewhere. Thanks in advance.

It can be but in the Neapolitan school they sometimes put them too close together and it was therefore easy to create a crack between the G and E peg holes or the D and A or in a viola or cello the C and A or the G and D. Most pegs are staggered so that there is more clearance for the hand. Some more, some less. The scroll below is a viola.

344154615_vaGaglianoscroll1.jpg.034e0541b9629684c66fa725f13b31bb.jpg      1903154954_vaGaglianoscroll2.jpg.97b0475fd5673b53a1db7e989c78d4a5.jpg

Hi. Thank you very much for the info. i'm attaching photos of the head of this violin. I think the pegs are not so spaced as in yours.