Sign in to follow this  
Kurt_Mobile

Old German?

Hi guys, 

New to the forum, ran across this cheapy not long ago and decided to crack it open and see what is made of. 

Somethings a little different, used an external form, corner blocks are fake and attached to the outside of the instrument, no headblock, it's carved into the neck and the tail block is external also to round out the shape. The plates still show all the tool marks but it's graduated fairly decent at 2.5 on both lungs and 3.5 center both top and bottom, just really really no attempt to smooth out tool marks. Spruce top, maple back, sides and neck look to be maple but nothing fancy. 

Since I'm a bit new. Could anyone expand on this construction and design? Time period, place of origin etc etc. Believe it or not it does play and does sound decent. The only mark I can find is the number 47 on the back plate tang. 

Got the violin case and bow for $50 bucks so I'm just learning and playing around and figured I wouldn't get hurt at that amount. 

F645ECDA-51D1-4E20-906C-9BCE69C34005.jpeg

DBC21051-C2B1-4E23-9A87-0C0E65DE4067.jpeg

3BA99C2E-EC79-48A6-AEDD-43BCAA4833F8.jpeg

508CCA8B-2BB7-45AA-B637-4C191CD7BBAA.jpeg

62165CEA-857E-4105-90D5-2596B5CF039C.jpeg

I would suggest you try your luck with the “search” function, even if it can be infuriating.

Possible search terms; Musikwinkel, Dutzendarbeit, Cornerblockology, Saxon, Schönbach etc.

Unless the back was really loose already, it was probably a bad idea to take it off instead of the front. You really need clearer pictures. Are the corner blocks attached, or is the rib garland sawn out as one piece? Personally (but I'm not a violin encyclopedia), I've never heard of outside attached blocks.

13 hours ago, Kurt_Mobile said:

Somethings a little different, used an external form, corner blocks are fake and attached to the outside of the instrument, no headblock, it's carved into the neck and the tail block is external also to round out the shape. The plates still show all the tool marks but it's graduated fairly decent at 2.5 on both lungs and 3.5 center both top and bottom, just really really no attempt to smooth out tool marks. Spruce top, maple back, sides and neck look to be maple but nothing fancy. 

Since I'm a bit new. Could anyone expand on this construction and design? Time period, place of origin etc etc. Believe it or not it does play and does sound decent. The only mark I can find is the number 47 on the back plate tang. 

1 hour ago, jacobsaunders said:

Possible search terms; Musikwinkel, Dutzendarbeit, Cornerblockology, Saxon, Schönbach etc.

It would probably be worth adding "Jackson Guldan" to your search list, as well: In the thread linked below (near the bottom of the first page) is a description and image of a very similar "one-piece" ribs / blocks construction method to the one you are describing:

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/338726-jackson-guldan-violin-inside-and-out/

Chances are there will be lots more information on these and similar instruments lurking around the pegbox somewhere, to get you started in your research.

Good luck,

"It would probably be worth adding "Jackson Guldan" to your search list, as well: In the thread linked below (near the bottom of the first page) is a description and image of a very similar "one-piece" ribs / blocks construction method to the one you are describing: "

That's what I had in mind with the rib garland being sawn as one piece.

14 minutes ago, FiddleDoug said:

"It would probably be worth adding "Jackson Guldan" to your search list, as well: In the thread linked below (near the bottom of the first page) is a description and image of a very similar "one-piece" ribs / blocks construction method to the one you are describing: "

That's what I had in mind with the rib garland being sawn as one piece.

You just beat me to it.  IMHO, it's a better grade of Jackson Guldan (if that's not an oxymoron :rolleyes: ).  :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Guldan_Co.

https://www.stlamateurluthier.com/2020/02/the-jackson-guldan-violin-company.html

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/330459-the-most-gawdawful-horrid-sounding-violin-youve-played-do-you-know-why/

https://thea.com/Violin-Guldan-Violin/

Actually, threes such a thing as a better grade Jackson Guldan, but it is of more conventional construction. I have one at the moment labelled Guldan Special that's actually a decent student fiddle, if a little garish in the coloring and shading of the varnish.