Maestronet Forums

Cannone Fittings

J.DiLisio

58 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

I think in the RAM Beckett collection book, there are a few pages of photos of original bridges.

I believe a number of these bridges are branded. Forster, Gilkes, Betts etc. (all later makers). Those in the Schreinzner collection attributed to Stoss, Geissenhof, Thir, Leidolff, Stadlmann, Stauffer etc.

Edited by Bruce Carlson

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Blank face said:

These are bridges from the Schreinzer collection. The painted in the second picture is labelled "Stradivarius", another one with a relative modern shape "Gagliano 1746", just for the records.

Schreinzer bridges 1.jpg

I think I will try the one on the far left, fourth row down

3 hours ago, Bruce Carlson said:

You can't believe everything you read in print. I totally disagree the hypothesis that this bridge could have been put there by Guarneri 'del Gesù'. The other bridge, in the collection tagged 'Guarneri', and housed in the Cité de la Musique in Paris, could have come from the 'Alard' but is certainly not in a style that you could attribute to Guarneri 'del Gesù'. If you look at the bridges in the Schreinzner collection from Vienna, this style of bridge or similar were being used all over Europe from London to Vienna and most of these bridges are tagged with makers active after 1750 a Mark Caudle mentioned.

So, besides the Stradivari templates and the Medici Tenor, we don't have reliably dated examples of pre-1750-ish bridges? Does the Chardon have its original bridge?

1 hour ago, Michael Appleman said:

So, besides the Stradivari templates and the Medici Tenor, we don't have reliably dated examples of pre-1750-ish bridges? Does the Chardon have its original bridge?

Unfortunately, no.

I expect there are some original bridges still flopping around in collections that came out of old shops, but this information rarely sees the light of day.

4 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

I think I will try the one on the far left, fourth row down

Yeah, this one is outstanstanding. One could do a sort of Rohrschach with it "what do you see in it? ":)

Was purchased in Paris according to the inscription.

5 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Marty, which bridge reminds you of your ex-wife? :D

Thanks David, I was doing okay trying to process this in the context of early bridges but now I can only categorize based on my ex-wife. So...no real comment on shape, but how do you ascertain which bridge can hold a grudge for twenty years?

3 hours ago, Fossil Ledges said:

Thanks David, I was doing okay trying to process this in the context of early bridges but now I can only categorize based on my ex-wife. So...no real comment on shape, but how do you ascertain which bridge can hold a grudge for twenty years?

I do have an opinion about which cello bridge in the photos looks the meanest or most adversarial. ;)

• 11 months later...

Thanks for the video! Interesting! The old fittings are put back at the end.

Does anyone know what bow she is using? In an interview, she says she is using a modern bow. To me, it looks soft and over tensioned, but she probably likes it that way.

On 5/1/2020 at 2:18 PM, David Burgess said:

But under the dirt, where? Wasn't the Maestro Stradivari un-entombed from his supposed original resting place, and moved somewhere else?

I am currently making violins from trees growing above Stradivari's body, and thus furnished with his nutrients. These trees may or may not be in Nova Scotia. ;)

Great. You just set in motion the mass deforestation of what was a nice province.:lol:

8 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Then how do the giraffes stay fed? :o

The tribal bushmen "Keepers of the Giraffe",   hand select trees on the Alberta side of the border and carry them across to the Saskatchewan side to keep them fed.

1 hour ago, Bill Yacey said:

The tribal bushmen "Keepers of the Giraffe",   hand select trees on the Alberta side of the border and carry them across to the Saskatchewan side to keep them fed.

Oh, that's right, I remember now. (We had to learn a little about Canada in my Canadian language class)

6 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Oh, that's right, I remember now. (We had to learn a little about Canada in my Canadian language class)

Thank goodness for Google Translate, otherwise we wouldn't be able to have this discussion.:D

22 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

This reminds me of a dinner I had around 20 years ago.

I had three medical students from Ireland staying with me for the summer. One Sunday, I brought them to dinner at my father’s place.

After the meal, my idiot brother-in-law turned to one of them and said, “I just have to say - you speak English really well!”

42 minutes ago, Bill Yacey said:

Thank goodness for Google Translate, otherwise we wouldn't be able to have this discussion.:D

I grew up pretty close to the Northwest border, so we had to learn a little Canadian in middle school, in case we took a wrong turn driving home drunk from a party, and needed to ask for directions back to the U.S.  Did you guys have to learn any U.S.'n?