Sign in to follow this  
liang7079

Chisel and gouge sizes suggestions

Hello all :

Hope everyone is doing well during this unusual time at home.  I have am in the process of enrolling into the local luthier school and was wondering if I could hear some suggestions on the chisel and gouges sizes needed please? 

(I have seen 6, 12, 18 and 24 all being mentioned, gouges I am planning on getting 5/8, 7/10, 7/14, 7/8, 5/25 and 8/13 for now) 

Thank you for all your inputs in advance. 

It might be best to ask for a list from the school, of what they want you to have.

Here I think people will mention all kinds of sizes and sweeps from personal preference, and conflicting sizes and sweeps, which may or may not be what you want.

1 hour ago, Wood Butcher said:

It might be best to ask for a list from the school, of what they want you to have.

Here I think people will mention all kinds of sizes and sweeps from personal preference, and conflicting sizes and sweeps, which may or may not be what you want.

Agreed.

Where do you live, and what is the name of your local luthier school? They might know a lot, or next to nothing. More information is needed.

We get the list of tools and materials later in the year (school starts in September), it would be interesting to see what other people use and are considered "industrial standard" sizes for the chisels and gouges.

It's the string musical instrument making course at Glasgow Clyde College, also known as Anniesland College in the UK, not as big and well known as Newark and other major schools but they are working on building up the department for violin making (it's more known for guitar making ATM)

3 hours ago, liang7079 said:

it would be interesting to see what other people use and are considered "industrial standard" sizes for the chisels and gouges.

There is no standard. It's mostly what works for you. You might end up buying a whole scroll set and only find yourself using like four of them. 

Here's a pdf Davide Sora put together with all his gouge sizes and which turns of the scroll they're used for.

D.Sora_Gouges measures and use.pdf 53.58 kB · 188 downloads

That's probably the most gouges you would need. 
Another approach would be to start with the minimal amount and add more from there. 
Michael Darnton only uses three or four for the scroll..

http://darntonviolins.com/gouges-over-at-the-maestronet-forum-i-posted/