Sign in to follow this  
David Burgess

For Those Who Have Had Difficulty Bending Ribs...

I had been meaning to put up a video, but never got around to it.

This aired last night on some PBS stations. Bending a C-bout rib is at about 14:50 in the Video. The bending was done dry (although I usually use a little moisture). The trick is to stretch the backing strap end-to-end with all your strength, while beginning to form the rib around the bending iron, also pulling hard against the bending iron. Maintaining a high pressure doesn't allow  the gaps to form between the bending iron, the rib, and the backing strap, which would let the rib kink and break at the flames. It 's all in the technique. Easy as pie. :)

https://video.wcmu.org/video/season-11-episode-4-kwt1rd/

13 minutes ago, Mark Norfleet said:

That's a nicely done video!

An important point is to keep one of your legs behind you while pulling that hard as David does.

When there are no people or cameras around, I normally just strap a large pillow to my derriere. ;)

11 hours ago, Michael_Molnar said:

Nice video, David. Has a rib strap ever broken sending you across the room?

Not yet. :lol:

Which do you think would be better?  Wearing a helmet, or standing a mattress against the opposite wall? ;)

Perhaps I should have my bending straps, and the bolts in my bending iron magnafluxed periodically. :o

2 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Not yet. :lol:

Which do you think would be better?  Wearing a helmet, or standing a mattress against the opposite wall? ;)

Perhaps I should have my bending straps, and the bolts in my bending iron magnafluxed periodically. :o

I was thinking more along the lines of having a good-looking nurse standing by to administer first aid.  :rolleyes:

29 minutes ago, Michael_Molnar said:

I was thinking more along the lines of having a good-looking nurse standing by to administer first aid.  :rolleyes:

We should first ask his wife if she agrees....

36 minutes ago, Andreas Preuss said:

Nice video,

i guess all depends on how thick you make the ribs. :rolleyes:

The rib in the video was about 1 mm. What thickness would you like me to do next? :)

Seeing as how I still get the occasional crack I'm going to have to try this technique out.. today actually. 
Thanks for sharing!

47 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

The rib in the video was about 1 mm. What thickness would you like me to do next? :)

1" :lol:, nice video

Thanks for the tip and video, David!

The usual stuff steel bending strap with handles never worked for me, but switching to one made of leather allowed me to apply that even and serious pressure David describes. Before that, using 3mm thick sheet of lead also got great results, but necessitated wearing gloves while bending. 

22 minutes ago, JacksonMaberry said:

Thanks for the tip and video, David!

The usual stuff steel bending strap with handles never worked for me, but switching to one made of leather allowed me to apply that even and serious pressure David describes. Before that, using 3mm thick sheet of lead also got great results, but necessitated wearing gloves while bending. 

I made a bending strap from an old worn out belt sander belt;  It works perfect.

21 minutes ago, Michael Darnton said:

I do it basically like David, but I can never get this out of my mind:

I don't think that would work with highly figured wood. In the closeups, like at 6:57, the ribs look quite plain.

2 hours ago, not telling said:

Looks like you're wrestling a yak out of a marsh or operating a sailboard in 40 knot winds. :o

When my yak gets stuck, I call a tow truck. :)

I've bent 1.8mm thick, well figured ribs without too much difficulty for a Lira da Braccio (the original did not have linings). The very open c bout curves were helpful, for sure.