Sign in to follow this  

Krenz Modulator For Violin...

I bought one of these from Krentz. One of my fiddles has a slight wolf around the c-c# freq.  I thought it might be fun and useful to play around with one in the wolf zone.

Installing it looks simple but I wonder if removing is as easy?  Anyone have experience with one on a violin? 

Received the Krentz today and I think it will be a useful tool. Removal and installation is easy. 

I like them and think they work well. Their best quality is that they are infinitely and easily adjustable - just slide it around until it does what you want it to. Probably the best of Kevin's products.b

On 5/3/2020 at 8:23 AM, JacksonMaberry said:

I like them and think they work well. Their best quality is that they are infinitely and easily adjustable - just slide it around until it does what you want it to. Probably the best of Kevin's products.b

Impressed with his invention, it's like having a tone adjustment knob. I can see this being useful in several ways. 

The Krentz does wonders for my cello; I mean it has a big wolf!  it's a good cello, and it's still young...

I didn't answer earlier, Ernie, because I don't have the violin one.  I do have one on/in my cello, and I find it to be very useful. 

Actually, I've had two.  In my first one, the tube contraption came apart after a while.  But they promptly replaced it with no fuss, and the new one has been fine.  I definitely did miss it while getting by with the old button-style wolf eliminator from the time my first Krentz went bad till the time I got the replacement one.

These used to be called "wolf eliminators", as far as I can tell.  I had a violin and cello version to evaluate a few years ago, and posted the results here. 

While the cello version seemed to work as I guess that it was designed to, the violin version I think suffered from size and friction control issues, and acted more like an expensive set of heavy magnets.

2 hours ago, Don Noon said:

, and acted more like an expensive set of heavy magnets.

That's a good point.  How much do these Krentz things weigh?  Do they work any better than magnets of the same weight?

If it''s not in my referenced post, then I don't know how much they weigh... just that they seemed (for the violin) to be much more than I would want.  I never tried any magnets with a felt surface, and it might be important to match the springiness of the felt... so I can't answer the second part either.

There is a suspended magnet in the Krentz thing, which on the violin version seemed to be very low damping and very low natural frequency (below the playing range), which means that the suspended magnet is isolated and doesn't have much effect.  So you shouldn't compare total weight to a set of plain magnets.