Sign in to follow this  
Shelbow

My thoughts on the latest Amati affordable Auction

1 hour ago, martin swan said:

However, to me it would be madness to buy any violin without playing it.

Depends on the maker, the condition, and the price. Sometimes it is madness not to buy it.

2 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

Depends on the maker, the condition, and the price. Sometimes it is madness not to buy it.

If you buy a really bad sounding violin at auction, the only way to sell it is at auction, and generally for the same amount or less. Take off the buyer's premium you paid the first time and the seller's premium you pay the second time and you learn pretty fast ....

17 hours ago, matesic said:

I was ready to bid £400 for the "Labelled Andreas Hoyer" that went for £3750. At least I'm happy that two other bidders believed the label.

That was my favourite in this auction, but I would have lost it to you already :-)

11 hours ago, martin swan said:

If you buy a really bad sounding violin at auction, the only way to sell it is at auction, and generally for the same amount or less. Take off the buyer's premium you paid the first time and the seller's premium you pay the second time and you learn pretty fast ....

Unless, of course, you subscribe to the "greater fool" theory for violins which would be (paraphrasing Wikipedia):;)

"The greater fool theory states that it is possible to make money by buying violins [securities], whether or not they are overvalued, by selling them for a profit at a later date. This is because there will always be someone (i.e. a bigger or greater fool) who is willing to pay a higher price."

Note that to qualify for this, one needs to be a lesser fool to start!

5 hours ago, martin swan said:

I believe that Chris Reuning, in a VSA lecture, said that he quantifies an "expert" by how much money he\she has lost...

12 hours ago, martin swan said:

However, to me it would be madness to buy any violin without playing it. The chances of such a violin (or any violin at auction) sounding irremediably awful are about 80% ... 

That's what I wisely told myself a few years ago. I've since decided my limit for a unplayed auction violin should be £500 but I still get nervous.

Last year I took a punt at Bromptons and have really enjoyed playing the 1809 "tradey" Charles Harris ever since. It sounds pretty much like a finer one I played (and bought, in that order), only better. An experience probably never to be repeated!

1 hour ago, matesic said:

That's what I wisely told myself a few years ago. I've since decided my limit for a unplayed auction violin should be £500 but I still get nervous.

If you can afford to burn money that's fine, but so many people seem to have a shedload of unplayable violins bought at auction that they ignore, and one violin that they proudly claim was a bargain - the true cost of that violin being its purchase cost plus the purchase cost of the 50 in the shed ....

Why don’t they spend that sum of money in Tarisio, they could have get something better or more authentic 

I would like to strongly doubt that. You could have met the same bidders there. And I wouldn't make a forecast for these times ... What do you mean with more authentic. It was an affordable auction, no valuation, no attribution.

5 hours ago, match said:

I would like to strongly doubt that. You could have met the same bidders there. And I wouldn't make a forecast for these times ... What do you mean with more authentic. It was an affordable auction, no valuation, no attribution.

Thank you Mr. Match - I will raise a glass to you this evening.

10 hours ago, martin swan said:

If you can afford to burn money that's fine, but so many people seem to have a shedload of unplayable violins bought at auction that they ignore, and one violin that they proudly claim was a bargain - the true cost of that violin being its purchase cost plus the purchase cost of the 50 in the shed ....

Not much danger of that, but half a dozen decent ones in the study...  It wasn't until after I'd spent a lot of time trying out dealers' violins and a fair sum on the best one that wouldn't break the bank that I found the courage to risk a fraction of that sum at auction, and found a violin that I liked even better.

This is a little late, but I second the notion that this past auction was very unusual.  I am a regular participant in these auctions and this one stood out to me to be the most bizarre.  Many more last minute surges, many unexpected high bids for certain items, etc. And I was expecting people not to have much money to spend, or to be hesitant considering the times.  I was wrong! 

On 5/1/2020 at 2:17 AM, martin swan said:

*Giggle*

...but you're forgetting to put a price on the pleasure of the hunt...

9 hours ago, JC & Ava said:

This is a little late, but I second the notion that this past auction was very unusual.  I am a regular participant in these auctions and this one stood out to me to be the most bizarre.  Many more last minute surges, many unexpected high bids for certain items, etc. And I was expecting people not to have much money to spend, or to be hesitant considering the times.  I was wrong! 

Even in the worst situations there are always people with money and people who see an opportunity. Not sure what happened with that violin but I bet the person who consigned is very happy. 

It's the variable reinforcer factor like many addictions, but yeah, this last auction proves that the pesky humans are an unpredictable lot.

I'm seeing lots of odd bidding on Ebay as well but also some interesting opportunities if you find the right item. 

Like Martin I won't consider anything without a play so I usually go to Wales for the preview but as I couldn't this time I ignored the auction.  Yes, prices are hard to understand!   I hope James is doing OK in the present climate.

once you get past your first 50 ,and as long as you have been learning , from each one, applying your hard won knowledge the next 50 should be better quality.

if not then stop 

On 5/7/2020 at 10:21 AM, keyboardclass said:

Like Martin I won't consider anything without a play so I usually go to Wales for the preview but as I couldn't this time I ignored the auction.  Yes, prices are hard to understand!   I hope James is doing OK in the present climate.

Keyboard class, thank you for your concern.

I have never been better. Eight (?) weeks without travelling or violin hunting has been the purest possible heaven. Sarah is holding the fort at work and juggling rather well. I am bringing some boundaries and stern parenting to the house during the day and the girls now look on me with renewed respect. Housework is remarkably easy as long as I ignore the boring stuff and focus on things like cooking and brewing kombucha. Sarah has been rendered almost speechless on her return from the office. I assume she is mute with wonder at the New Regime.

Amati is in good shape, although I think we are all starting to wonder what the next phase of gathering will bring. How on earth we will find the next auction is going to be interesting. It's not as if we are sitting on many un-solds from March.

Genuinely, if somebody has a good idea I am all ears.

Hope you are all keeping well and that lockdown isn't too ghoulish.

On 4/30/2020 at 7:44 PM, GeorgeH said:

Unless, of course, you subscribe to the "greater fool" theory for violins which would be (paraphrasing Wikipedia):;)

Note that to qualify for this, one needs to be a lesser fool to start!

Buy high, sell low!

On 5/3/2020 at 11:30 AM, Shelbow said:

I'm seeing lots of odd bidding on Ebay as well but also some interesting opportunities if you find the right item. 

Yes, lots of weird bidding on Ebay, some folks think there will be a disproportionate number of bargains, and some folks think it's the apocalypse.

18 hours ago, jamesbuchanan said:

Housework is remarkably easy as long as I ignore the boring stuff and focus on things like cooking and brewing kombucha. Sarah has been rendered almost speechless on her return from the office. I assume she is mute with wonder at the New Regime.

I think to judge we'd require pics of you in your apron - body, front and back.                      

There has got to be a few people around sitting on stashes of 100+ violins or more just letting them waste away in their shed. Need to get the word out and convince people now is the time to consign. :D

Looking forward to the June sale!

On 5/1/2020 at 7:07 AM, Kim852 said:

Why don’t they spend that sum of money in Tarisio, they could have get something better or more authentic 

Think about that statement. How are instruments at Tarisio "better" and "more authentic?"