Sign in to follow this  
Eugen Modri

Budget steel strings for violin or cello

Bit of a shot in the dark, I know : could anybody here recommend some CHEAP steel strings for violin and cello available in bulk (?) with some meaningful discount (?) ?

Something afordable to us Africans. :) 

They don't need to sound "great"  - stable, quick and long lasting will be enough. Lots of thanks !

If you have to use Prim for Cello, take the thicker gauge, I think ist called "Orchestra", it will Sound better. They will last quite Long, but the a string doesn't Sound very good. Crown strings would be preferable, much better Sound, but will cost a bit (although not much) more.

Thomastic have a new string set called Alphayue which is incredibly cheap. The violin set sounds good, haven't tried the Cello set. But I've heard they are not very durable.

3 hours ago, duane88 said:

Prims probably meet the requirement.

I confess I never heard of Prims but I on your advice I made a few inquires and seems people are very happy with them. Problem is they are not cheap. Not for Africans. I will have to look towards some Chinese product, unfortunately. None the less, thank you very much.

I might suggest emailing some of the manufacturers, explain your situation, maybe they will give you a deal. You might be surprised.

As far as Chinese strings go, they all seem bad, dont know what it is, they make good instruments, but havent figured out strings. 

Try D'Addario Preludes. Decent for the money, can be purchased in bulk if you're a dealer. I usually go up a grade or two, but I trust these guys for accuracy and consistency of production.

4 hours ago, stringcheese said:

Try D'Addario Preludes. Decent for the money, can be purchased in bulk if you're a dealer. I usually go up a grade or two, but I trust these guys for accuracy and consistency of production.

Lots of thanks, they look perfect for the job. And they come in light tension.

On 4/26/2020 at 8:38 PM, Eugen Modri said:

Bit of a shot in the dark, I know : could anybody here recommend some CHEAP steel strings for violin and cello available in bulk (?) with some meaningful discount (?) ?

Something afordable to us Africans. :) 

They don't need to sound "great"  - stable, quick and long lasting will be enough. Lots of thanks !

Lenzner in Markneukirchen are quite good and cheap https://lenzner-strings.de/