Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

What brand of cello case is this?

What brand of cello case is this?

It’s very old, it’s quite like the cases that I had when I was a kid, too many years ago. But the hinges are broken and I’m going to see if I can find a replacement. There is no brand name listed anywhere, which I find quite surprising. But I’m sure somebody here knows right?

CF7291D5-0287-4D95-A2C2-81EDD29FA13E.jpeg

Um, the best cello case ever made?

Sure, it doesn't have wheels. And the handle tends to fall off. And it's a bit heavy.  But by god, I would take a million of these cases compared to the crap we have now. This beast got me through high school, college, and is still going strong today.

You know, in a community filled with brilliant structural engineers and creative thinkers why a workable, affordable cello case hasn't been made is beyond me. 

I just have to look at that...and my back starts to ache...

1 hour ago, arglebargle said:

Sure, it doesn't have wheels. And the handle tends to fall off. And it's a bit heavy.  But by god, I would take a million of these cases compared to the crap we have now. This beast got me through high school, college, and is still going strong today.

You know, in a community filled with brilliant structural engineers and creative thinkers why a workable, affordable cello case hasn't been made is beyond me. 

I agree completely...but what BRAND is it?

I have three of them with bad hinges and I’m hoping to find some replacements.

That resembles one of the old Bobelock or American pressed-plywood cases. The shells were pretty tough. I still have a custom-made oversized one with a suspension which I use for shipping. Pretty beat up now, with numerous repairs.

I doubt that you can get original hinges. Instead, you might find something at a hardware store which will work. Since the screw spacing will probably be different, you can fill the old holes by putting in Titebond, jamming in as many toothpicks as will fit, and trimming (or breaking) them off flush with the surface when the glue has dried..

18 hours ago, arglebargle said:

What's wrong with the crap we have now?

Howard Core Co, has case parts for GEWA and their own Core cases.  Maybe you can find something.  No parts for Babelock cases.

The next place is online luggage repair parts.  May have to adapt another type of hinge.  Repair will probably require Pop rivets and a drill to remove the old fasteners..

regards

Mike D

6 minutes ago, Dwight Brown said:

Not sure it is of any help but they seem to have really odd things when I need them.

DLB

I just looked through, and the hinges on my case contoured to the shape of the case, so Nothing here would work, unless I were a bit of a handyman, which I most definitely am not.

Well I had three cases, Two with bad hinges, and two with separation in the plywood of the top. I took the good top off one case and put it on the body with the good hinges. I had to tap new holes for the hinges on the top, And the two halves don’t mate completely well, But the result is an entirely serviceable case...And two cases that are entirely usable for shipping, in the event that I ever need to ship a cello.

So, I guess all’s well that ends well.

At least it worked out! :)

BTW, what all do you have in your stash??? :mellow:

3 hours ago, Rue said:

At least it worked out! :)

BTW, what all do you have in your stash??? :mellow:

I’m not sure what you are referring to, but all I grow in my garden are flowers...

On April 26, 2020 at 5:35 AM, David Burgess said:

That resembles one of the old Bobelock or American pressed-plywood cases. The shells were pretty tough. I still have a custom-made oversized one with a suspension which I use for shipping. Pretty beat up now, with numerous repairs.

I doubt that you can get original hinges. Instead, you might find something at a hardware store which will work. Since the screw spacing will probably be different, you can fill the old holes by putting in Titebond, jamming in as many toothpicks as will fit, and trimming (or breaking) them off flush with the surface when the glue has dried..

David,

This relates to your comment from a different thread about my reluctance to ship cellos. Custom made and oversized? Any chance of getting more info that might  help me have something made which will enable safer delivery of cellos during the current crisis? Safer  both for me and the cellos that is.

1 hour ago, nathan slobodkin said:

David,

This relates to your comment from a different thread about my reluctance to ship cellos. Custom made and oversized? Any chance of getting more info that might  help me have something made which will enable safer delivery of cellos during the current crisis? Safer  both for me and the cellos that is.

In my experience the best way to ship cellos is in a case. Broken down and packed in an exterior cardboard box, With all the accessories outside the case, and plenty of bubble wrap on the inside, it should be just as safe as can be.

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

In my experience the best way to ship cellos is in a case. Broken down and packed in an exterior cardboard box, With all the accessories outside the case, and plenty of bubble wrap on the inside, it should be just as safe as can be.

Yes if you want it to arrive somewhere intact that is possibly OK. If I am shipping to a client however it doesn't do them much good if it isn't playable and trusting a competitor to set it up is not usually a good idea.

53 minutes ago, nathan slobodkin said:

Yes if you want it to arrive somewhere intact that is possibly OK. If I am shipping to a client however it doesn't do them much good if it isn't playable and trusting a competitor to set it up is not usually a good idea.

Oh that is an excellent point. When the makers sent my cello to me, he just sent it in a huge shipping crate with “the end up” on the top.

It arrived in tune, so whatever he did worked,  I guess.

Nathan, Kohlstein used to make a travel case for the cello.  It was truly a suspension case because the instrument was held by the body.  There were inflatable bladders used to secure the body, and the neck was floating (not attached to anything).  The case was huge, but it made  it very likely that the instrument would survive baggage handlers.

i suspect it would be possible to make your own suspension case--it would start by not attaching the neck to anything,and thus avoiding the "neck snap."  I wonder what basic case you could use for the modification?

regards

Mike D