PhilipKT

(Now with extra Cat!)How bad is this crack?(couple new pics)

God help me, I’m considering another cello. I swear I should just stick to stray cats...

anyway, how bad is this crack?  It’s long and fully separated, but clean and not in a structurally problematic area so it should be pretty simple to repair, right?

and no.... not interested...just wondering...promise...

C5D56011-227E-4D78-83CD-8F28AAA9048E.jpeg

3DDA30F8-36D8-467F-9F5B-6B5AC4833D73.jpeg

Edited by PhilipKT
Added a new kitten video

5 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

God help me, I’m considering another cello. I swear I should just stick to stray cats...

and no.... not interested...just wondering...promise...

Tsk...just more of your lies!!! :lol:

Upon a first look, using the smaller photo, it looks like a fresh crack. Upon a second look, using the larger photo, it may well be a crack which has been previously repaired, and is already seriously phucked up.

17 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Dont need to feed cellos.

Crack is certainly repairable, anything is. A typical spot for a crack that usually isnt a big deal. But if David is right, it might be hard to make it "go away".

Actually, strike that first comment, the price of a set of cello strings could keep a stray cat going a long time.

11 minutes ago, Mark Norfleet said:

Will that make the crack harder to repair?

No, but it could make it easier.......if it is a brand that is a known commodity and you know that the instrument is built well and commands a specific price when complete it could make it a whole lot easier...... B)

11 minutes ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

No, but it could make it easier.......if it is a brand that is a known commodity and you know that the instrument is built well and commands a specific price when complete it could make it a whole lot easier...... B)

The cello is a straight forward Markneukirchen box from the end of 19th C or early 20th C., so a routine crack repair doesn’t seem that mysterious

This is a feral kitten who wants a baby. Even though she treats my house and cats as her own, I haven’t been able to trap her yet, but isn’t she gorgeous?

I’m on the phone to the eudoxa people to see what she’ll bring.

edit:  i’ve been trying to upload a brief video of this kitten, without success, which means my humor is entirely wasted.

meanwhile, Jacob, remember even Markneukirchen boxes, if well made and in good shape, have some value here in the Hinterlands.

Edited by PhilipKT
%# video wouldn’t load.

7 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

With "Jay Haide"?

It’s a 1935 Juzek Master Art “Testore” copy, though I have no clue what distinguishes the Testore “copies” from any other copies.

2 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

It’s a 1935 Juzek Master Art “Testore” copy, though I have no clue what distinguishes the Testore “copies” from any other copies.

:D:lol::rolleyes:............

17 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

You seem to be quite obsessed with Juzek, and want everything to be one, regardless of whether it is or not.

52 minutes ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

By that way of thinking..., I’m finishing up a repair on a relatively modern viola with a brand in that area that has presented a few surprises.  There will definitely be an HK surcharge on the estimate if I’m asked to repair another instrument from this maker that requires taking anything apart.

5 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

You seem to be quite obsessed with Juzek, and want everything to be one, regardless of whether it is or not.

Nah, not obsessed with Juzek. I have mentioned them often because the good ones are a known quantity, but I am interested in any equivalent instruments.

and this instrument is identified in the listing as a MA.

https://bid.revereauctions.com/lots/view/1-2VP5J5/john-juzek-master-art-cello-testore-1935

I won’t bid, actually, but I have found that top-line instruments like this sound good and are worth having, so when one shows up I am interested.

18 hours ago, Mark Norfleet said:

By that way of thinking..., I’m finishing up a repair on a relatively modern viola with a brand in that area that has presented a few surprises.  There will definitely be an HK surcharge on the estimate if I’m asked to repair another instrument from this maker that requires taking anything apart.

Ahhh Helmut......understandable.

59 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

The cello is a straight forward Markneukirchen box from the end of 19th C or early 20th C., so a routine crack repair doesn’t seem that mysterious

39 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Sorry, Schönbach, not Markneukirchen;)

1 hour ago, Blank face said:

What I can see of the lower rib is another long and badly repaired crack.

I wrote the auction house asking for a specific condition report. I also looked up this model in the old catalog. A Strad copy master art cost $390, but the Testore copy only cost $200. 

A 1935 Ford cost as low as $510.00, btw.

...I dunno...

Maybe that cello isn't all it's cracked up to be...

:ph34r: