Sign in to follow this  
antero

French violin query

Hello folks, once again,

Violin IDs are not so extremely numerous at the moment (am I wrong?) so I dare to put out one from my collection, once again.

Pictures are this time better than my usual ones, as they are shot by one of the  luthiers, I currently cooperate with...

Front.jpg

Back.jpg

head1.jpg

Head2.jpg

Head3.jpg

Head4.jpg

What is the back length? And please tell us about the label ...

At a first glance I would say this is a Mirecourt violin that's been bought in and nicely finished by someone else - maybe the label is "fait sous la direction de" or something like that. F-holes are a bit unconventional so maybe it's a bit better than that. Is it dated? Maybe between 1900 and 1920?

Taking this as a learning exercise… are there any typical indicators to keep French violins apart from Turin?

The varnish and button remind me a lot of a Charles Bailly that I’ve seen, although I don’t know 20th century French well at all.

Thanks! I tell the LOB a bit later, violin not at hand at the moment.

What I remember of the label: Bordeaux, Charles Resuche, 1902, No 242.

Also was mentioned the Bordeaux workshop founder, from whom CR apparently bought (?) the business; and that CR had formerly worked for Gand & Bernardel.

20 hours ago, Guido said:

Taking this as a learning exercise… are there any typical indicators to keep French violins apart from Turin?

Good luck!!

Seriously, though, it can be simple when you're dealing with some of the quirckier makers like Bruno or Gatti, but the cleaner the maker, the harder it can be, and with a precise maker like Oddone, if it weren't for the brand marks, you could have a hard time not seeing it as French work. Generally, French edge work is more precise and sharp, purfling mitres deeper and more precise, they have less of a tendency for the varnish to crackle, and overall, the Turinese violins have more "character" and "personality" in their appearance, the French violins tending to be more "sterile" and "precise"...but many Turin violins started out as Mirecourt white violins, and certain French makers like Poirson may have had a Turinese workman making white violins for them, so...

F Meynieu luthier Bordeaux

Charles Resuche

Eleve de Gand et Bernardel

Fecit anno 1902        No 242

LOB: 358 mm

This Resuche is a very attractive violin. I've seen some that are very "fresh from Mirecourt" looking and others that look very creative and original, possibly entirely made by him (often with visible pins on the back). This one looks "in between," as Martin described, an artistically finished Mirecourt white box, which is not to denigrate it in the least. Just about all of the French makers were doing that at the time.  

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 12:13 PM, Michael Appleman said:

I've seen some that are very "fresh from Mirecourt" looking

Thanks! That was indeed my question that I did not yet ask the MN-s: do you see, with your trained eye and experience, features that promise more than just "generic Mirecourt".