Sign in to follow this  
keyboardclass

cheap 'boxwood' pegs

Are there 'boxwood' pegs that aren't really?  I've a violin with what are probably cheap ebay buys.  They seem to fit but slip like no one's business.  I've tried ebony and they're fine.   Thanks.

Yes, almost all of the boxwood pegs aren't real boxwood. To get the real thing you need to pay.

Most cheap boxwood substitutes are very soft and spongey, they really get crushed from pressing them in, and wear very badly. Best avoided, not worth the trouble.

Ebony will still work better than even the best boxwood pegs however.

I get the feeling if the pegs don't come from an identifiable fittings maker they could be made of anything.  I know the chinrests I get are pretty much just brownish wood but they are not subject to the same need of careful fitting.

DLB

I have good luck with: 

Bogaro and Clemente

Eric Meyer

Otto Tempel

Hansell

In woodwind instruments Buxus Sempervirens was widely used before tropical hard woods became popular and available.  Even now real boxwood is reserved for the top of the line instruments for recorders.  Recorders are really odd in that the price varies a great deal depending on what wood is used some makers make the same instrument in six or eight different woods.

Sorry to carry on but I'm feeling a bit cooped up and chatty 

DLB

There is a lovely tree right outside my house and I’ve had a branch lying in my garden shed for the past 15 years. I also live near Box Hill, the scene of a well-known episode in Jane Austen’s Emma. Guess what grows there? In fact box trees are as common as muck around here. 
Andrew

Know it well.  Long before the Olympics ruined it I spent most Saturdays there.  There was a pub that served great Guinness and muscles!  Definitely those were the days!  For those who don 't know there's a guy buried upside down there.

The only boxwood I've come across in the states at least is Castelo Boxwood and while it looks very similar to the real thing it's noticeably softer and lighter.  I have a hunch this is what most cheap 'boxwood' fittings are made from.  

BTW if anyone knows a good source for English boxwood in the US let me know.

1 hour ago, keyboardclass said:

Long before the Olympics ruined it I spent most Saturdays there.  There was a pub that served great Guinness and muscles! 

Before the Olympics it was mussels. Muscles came after. :D

49 minutes ago, DoorMouse said:

The only boxwood I've come across in the states at least is Castelo Boxwood and while it looks very similar to the real thing it's noticeably softer and lighter.  I have a hunch this is what most cheap 'boxwood' fittings are made from.  

BTW if anyone knows a good source for English boxwood in the US let me know.

Miles Gilmer Woods in Portland probably has some. He has a web page.

I went boxwood hunting with Eric Fouille in the woods near his house in Southern France. There are still trees out there but they are not huge. Boxwood was used for tooling and many industrial purposes in England and as a result the very large trees are rare. There is an account of a famous travel writer in the early !9th Century noting Large boxwood logs on vessels originating in Salonica. The piece of box from Hill's shop that Bill Watson gave me has Salonica written on it in ink. Unfortunately in modern mass produced fittings boxwood is more of a color of wood than a species citation.

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/342003-cutting-and-drying-boxwood-for-pegs/

I dunno...I wouldn't say no to a pub offering beer and muscles...

rodney_duke_photo.jpg