Sign in to follow this  
Rosemom

Is this bow worth fixing?

Looking for advice on whether to fix my daughter’s 3/4 violin bow. It came with a Kohr K550 3/4 violin outfit and I am not the original owner, so I am not sure about the value or history. The white piece at the tip broke and came off, and the broke piece is gone. Her violin teacher took one quick look and said it is not worth fixing,  but after a closer look, I think the bow is made from pernambuco, and it is still very straight and appears to be in good shape. I called a local music shop and was told I have to change the hair, so the cost will be >$65. Is it worthwhile to get it fixed? My daughter has another cheap carbon fiber bow to use right now, and she is likely to move onto 4/4 in 6 months. Thank you for your advise. 

E6F6DB0C-CBAC-4E32-A0C3-D2506A9CD6C5.jpeg

52CBFED3-DC0E-4CB9-8B8F-83DD3633F066.jpeg

F906FDC7-255D-4AD5-B5E6-1978345ACAA6.jpeg

C1EE488B-23E5-413A-87B2-C37BD1A107E9.jpeg

C05ECC74-729C-442C-B891-7B4C85D8D38A.jpeg

Edited by Rosemom

A 65 buck headplate and rehair would be a screaming deal since in my shop the rehair alone would be 75!

I would just replace it, but if you have all of the bits one might just be able to glue the veneer and headplate back on and rehair it.

Thank you Duane88. Actually I am worried that after I make an appointment and drop off the bow, they would tell me that the cost is way more than $100.....unfortunately all the missing parts are lost, otherwise I would want a quick fix. 
Based on the picture, can you get an idea of how much this bow might be worth? Is it a pernambuco stick?
Thanks. 

You will need a new tip plate and liner. A lot of the tension from the plug can be placed on the back of the tip plate. It appears that the adhesive either wasn't there or gave way. Re gluing the old pieces is not going to reinforce the mortise, only a new tip plate will.

20 hours ago, duane88 said:

A 65 buck headplate and rehair would be a screaming deal since in my shop the rehair alone would be 75!

Mebbe they were going to just stick the old hair back in.

I think the bow is not worth repairing.

45 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

Mebbe they were going to just stick the old hair back in.

I think the bow is not worth repairing.

but we all know that won't work...